Jun 25, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
It was looking more and more like the Pirates would shift James McDonald from the rotation to the bullpen once he returned from the disabled list, but now it might be a moot point.
McDonald continues to experience shoulder soreness and Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that the right-hander will be examined by Dr. James Andrews next week. In other words: Uh oh.
McDonald had an excellent first half for the Pirates last season, but faded badly down the stretch and then posted a 5.76 ERA in six starts before being shut down this year. Pittsburgh has enough rotation depth that sending Gerrit Cole back to the minors is being talked about, so at this point McDonald is sort of a forgotten man.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 155
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (159)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)