Jun 25, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
On the disabled list with a blood clot in his left armpit, Angels left-hander Jason Vargas will undergo surgery to remove the clot and is expected to miss at least three weeks.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Vargas will be completely shut down from throwing for two weeks, but the Angels are hopeful that he’ll be able to return without needing a lengthy minor-league rehab assignment.
Vargas has pitched well for the Angels since being acquired from the Mariners for Kendrys Morales this offseason, starting 14 games with a 3.65 ERA and 62/30 K/BB ratio in 91 innings. And if the Angels don’t climb above .500 soon the impending free agent could be a prime trade candidate next month.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 55
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 18
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29