Jun 25, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
On the disabled list with a blood clot in his left armpit, Angels left-hander Jason Vargas will undergo surgery to remove the clot and is expected to miss at least three weeks.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Vargas will be completely shut down from throwing for two weeks, but the Angels are hopeful that he’ll be able to return without needing a lengthy minor-league rehab assignment.
Vargas has pitched well for the Angels since being acquired from the Mariners for Kendrys Morales this offseason, starting 14 games with a 3.65 ERA and 62/30 K/BB ratio in 91 innings. And if the Angels don’t climb above .500 soon the impending free agent could be a prime trade candidate next month.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)