Jose Reyes to rejoin the Jays a day early

Jun 25, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT

jose reyes getty Getty Images

The other day we heard that Jose Reyes was going to come off the disabled list and join the Blue Jays on Thursday. Nope: Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that Reyes is set to rejoin the Blue Jays Wednesday and should be available for the day game against the Rays.

Reyes went down in April while he was hitting .395 with five stolen bases in 43 plate appearances.Munenori Kawasaki and Maicer Izturis have filled in for him and have, at times anyway, provided some excitement. But obviously the Jays want Reyes back at the top of the order as they become contenders in the AL East.

1. 161andriver - Jun 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

If things starting falling the right way for the Jays, they could be a very scary team in the second half. The AL East is anybody’s race.

2. cur68 - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Thank you, Dog! Beaver Ball needs some more Jose Reyes. Now if they send down a Relief Pitcher and NOT Kawasaki, that would be great. Possibly Darren Oliver. . . no . . . he’s been pretty good . . . Loup? . . .Prolly not . . . maybe a bench coach? Dang, man. I have no effin idea who to send down. Glad I’m not Anthopolous and Gibbons.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I suspect that McGowan has probably passed through waivers unclaimed due to his contract and injury history. I strongly suspect that he will be the person moved to make room for Reyes.

• cur68 - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM

You are probably right, PC. I forgot about McGowan. Given how problematic his shoulder has been and his long recovery time, I suspect he’ll be ok. No one really wants to ditch ‘Saki: not only a clutch type guy but a real character who puts arses in seats. You don’t ship out the golden goose.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Kawasaki will likely be sent down when Lawrie returns.

• jwbiii - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Anthopolous better get used to this. Several of the Jays convalescents (Happ, Santos, maybe Lawrie) should be returning in the next few weeks.

• cur68 - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Its a nice problem to have. Besides, resting good players for other good players should be good for success. Team chemistry is built on success.

• indaburg - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

These are the kind of problems you want to have. Definitely NOT ‘saki. I will put a pox on the Jays if they do.

This is cool. I’ll be at Wednesday’s game for sure. I’ll be sure to report from the scene. Get to watch Dickey pitch in person too. I love to see the eephus live.

• nbjays - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

You are going to the game just to see our Dickey? Doesn’t that make you feel dirty?

• Shayna - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Colour me chartreuse! Of course, Florida in June is my idea of the inferno, but I’d be prepared to face it for the fun of seeing RAD on the mound. Haven’t seen him yet live but I love knuckleballers.

The knuckleball is to pitching as the sacrifice bunt is to hitting. It is the exact opposite of everyone’s standards for appropriate play and yet it works. Hope the air currents down at the Trop are exactly what the knuckleball needs. Have a great time!

• indaburg - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM

It’s my second time seeing him pitch up close in person. The only good thing about an awfully small fan base: great cheap seats. I swear, if I ever win the big jackpot lottery, I will buy the Rays and bring baseball back to Montreal, to a place that would appreciate the treasure they have.

• nbjays - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM

That would be great for Gator, who could go see great non-Feesh baseball in a world-class city AND get an awesome smoked meat sandwich to boot.

3. jaysfan64 - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Good news – but can’t see after everything that’s happened with McG risking losing him that way…they could DL Melky as a band-aid I suppose but that only delays the inevitable…

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet