Jun 25, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
A new outfielder arrived Tuesday at Safeco Field.
MLB.com’s Greg Johns reports that the Mariners have recalled Dustin Ackley from Triple-A Tacoma and will give him regular starts for the first time at a position other than second base. Ackley was moved to center field during his time in the minors while managing to hit .365/.472/.500 with two home runs and 14 RBI in 25 Pacific Coast League games.
Franklin Gutierrez was placed on the disabled list in a corresponding roster move. He has made only 63 plate appearances this year in the major leagues and is out this time with a right hamstring strain.
Ackley was ranked a Top-15 prospect in both 2010 and 2011 by Baseball America and has done some nice things in the majors. He got demoted on May 27 after opening 2013 with a .205/.266/.250 batting line.
Nick Franklin will continue to start at second base. He’s hitting .283/.359/.489 in 26 games.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)