Jun 25, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
A new outfielder arrived Tuesday at Safeco Field.
MLB.com’s Greg Johns reports that the Mariners have recalled Dustin Ackley from Triple-A Tacoma and will give him regular starts for the first time at a position other than second base. Ackley was moved to center field during his time in the minors while managing to hit .365/.472/.500 with two home runs and 14 RBI in 25 Pacific Coast League games.
Franklin Gutierrez was placed on the disabled list in a corresponding roster move. He has made only 63 plate appearances this year in the major leagues and is out this time with a right hamstring strain.
Ackley was ranked a Top-15 prospect in both 2010 and 2011 by Baseball America and has done some nice things in the majors. He got demoted on May 27 after opening 2013 with a .205/.266/.250 batting line.
Nick Franklin will continue to start at second base. He’s hitting .283/.359/.489 in 26 games.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)