Jun 25, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
A new outfielder arrived Tuesday at Safeco Field.
MLB.com’s Greg Johns reports that the Mariners have recalled Dustin Ackley from Triple-A Tacoma and will give him regular starts for the first time at a position other than second base. Ackley was moved to center field during his time in the minors while managing to hit .365/.472/.500 with two home runs and 14 RBI in 25 Pacific Coast League games.
Franklin Gutierrez was placed on the disabled list in a corresponding roster move. He has made only 63 plate appearances this year in the major leagues and is out this time with a right hamstring strain.
Ackley was ranked a Top-15 prospect in both 2010 and 2011 by Baseball America and has done some nice things in the majors. He got demoted on May 27 after opening 2013 with a .205/.266/.250 batting line.
Nick Franklin will continue to start at second base. He’s hitting .283/.359/.489 in 26 games.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 21
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)