Jun 25, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
A new outfielder arrived Tuesday at Safeco Field.
MLB.com’s Greg Johns reports that the Mariners have recalled Dustin Ackley from Triple-A Tacoma and will give him regular starts for the first time at a position other than second base. Ackley was moved to center field during his time in the minors while managing to hit .365/.472/.500 with two home runs and 14 RBI in 25 Pacific Coast League games.
Franklin Gutierrez was placed on the disabled list in a corresponding roster move. He has made only 63 plate appearances this year in the major leagues and is out this time with a right hamstring strain.
Ackley was ranked a Top-15 prospect in both 2010 and 2011 by Baseball America and has done some nice things in the majors. He got demoted on May 27 after opening 2013 with a .205/.266/.250 batting line.
Nick Franklin will continue to start at second base. He’s hitting .283/.359/.489 in 26 games.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)