Jun 25, 2013, 11:48 PM EST
It has been more than six weeks since top outfield prospect Oscar Taveras suffered a right high ankle sprain during an awkward slide into second base.
And the injury is still giving him all sorts of trouble.
According to columnist Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Taveras was officially placed back on the disabled list Tuesday evening at Triple-A Memphis due to ongoing ankle discomfort. There is no timetable for his return to the Redbirds’ lineup.
The big-league Cardinals do not have an immediate need in their outfield and seem likely to play it as safe as possible with the 21-year-old potential star. That probably means an extended disabled list stint.
Taveras is hitting .306/.341/.462 with five homers, five steals and 32 RBI in 46 games this year in Memphis. He hit .321/.380/.572 with 23 homers, 10 steals and 94 RBI in 124 games last year at Double-A Springfield.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)