Jun 25, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
They didn’t, activating Middlebrooks from the DL like normal two weeks ago, but now after just four hits in 29 at-bats they’ve decided to demote the 24-year-old third baseman to Triple-A.
Brandon Snyder was called up to take Middlebrooks’ place on the roster, but the Red Sox figure to use Jose Iglesias as their primary third baseman. Projected to be a terrible hitter based on his minor-league track record, Iglesias has hit .426 with a 1.044 OPS through 33 games this season.
After a strong rookie half-season Middlebrooks has hit just .192 with an ugly 60/9 K/BB ratio in 53 games this year for a dropoff of more than 200 points of OPS.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 32
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 31
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 44
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)