Jun 25, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
They didn’t, activating Middlebrooks from the DL like normal two weeks ago, but now after just four hits in 29 at-bats they’ve decided to demote the 24-year-old third baseman to Triple-A.
Brandon Snyder was called up to take Middlebrooks’ place on the roster, but the Red Sox figure to use Jose Iglesias as their primary third baseman. Projected to be a terrible hitter based on his minor-league track record, Iglesias has hit .426 with a 1.044 OPS through 33 games this season.
After a strong rookie half-season Middlebrooks has hit just .192 with an ugly 60/9 K/BB ratio in 53 games this year for a dropoff of more than 200 points of OPS.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)