Jun 25, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
They didn’t, activating Middlebrooks from the DL like normal two weeks ago, but now after just four hits in 29 at-bats they’ve decided to demote the 24-year-old third baseman to Triple-A.
Brandon Snyder was called up to take Middlebrooks’ place on the roster, but the Red Sox figure to use Jose Iglesias as their primary third baseman. Projected to be a terrible hitter based on his minor-league track record, Iglesias has hit .426 with a 1.044 OPS through 33 games this season.
After a strong rookie half-season Middlebrooks has hit just .192 with an ugly 60/9 K/BB ratio in 53 games this year for a dropoff of more than 200 points of OPS.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 30
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62