Brian Cashman apologizes for his STFU comment

Jun 26, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays v New York Yankees Getty Images

I don’t get the sense he’s apologizing to A-Rod all that much — and I can understand if the guy is aggravating —  but he is sorry for his choice of words and seems to own it, more or less. Statements passed along via Mark Feinsand’s Twitter feed:

I regret the choice of words I used yesterday … I didn’t handle this one well. I popped. Reality TV at its best.”

He added that he didn’t think A-Rod was trying to create a disturbance with his tweet just that, well, he did end up doing that, saying “the tweet created some issues and I obviously added to those issues.” He also said that A-Rod and Hal Steinbrenner spoke today and that A-Rod “got the message.”

Which is how it should be: the boss telling the employee how he messed up behind closed doors.

So that’s settled. At least until the next time.

1. specialkindofstupid - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:27 PM

When are Cashman and Rodriguez going to drop the games and just admit they love each other?

• gigab0t - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM

“I can’t [legally] quit you.”

2. flamethrower101 - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Message was fine, choice of words was subpar.

• ezthinking - Jun 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM

The message was stupid at best. The delivery, brutal.

• stex52 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

It reminded me of very much of when Woodward and Bernstein woke John Mitchell (then Attorney General) up out of a deep sleep to get his comment on a story the Post was going to run. He said “Katie Graham is going to get her tit caught in a big fat wringer.”

Nice. Managed to make the whole thing about himself instead of the real story.

Cashman just pretty much did the same thing. Never a good plan.

3. brewcrewfan54 - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM

He’s more sorry about ARod’s contract.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM

$68 an hour, that’s it? Please click on this link to see how you can make $100/hr, all from the comfort of your mother’s basement!

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM

You know, I was going to just ignore this clear spam attempt. But your use of arrows pointing to the hyperlink you wish me to click is just too persuasive.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM

The more the Yankees try to distance themselves from A-Rod they look bad.
      A few weeks back Cash man described A-Rod as the good, the bad and the ugly.
      When you make foolish comments they come back to bite you.
      I always hear the same thing from A-Rod, I want to get back to help my team win.
      I bet Cash man likes his bling from 2009, I would check the attitude if I was him.

4. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Came off sounding like a 7 year old kid who’s being made to apologize by his mother for calling the neighbor kid a stupid, ugly poo-poo face.

5. whatthehellisansky - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Every time a-rod opens his mouth i find myself thinking exactly what Cashman said.

6. jjohnb5393 - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Brian isn’t responsible for A rod contract deal…

7. ryand17 - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I liked it better for the split second when I read his statement as “I pooped”

8. cur68 - Jun 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Alex Rodriguez and Brian Cashman’s next in-person meeting is going to be interesting. It would be the hight of hilarity if Rodriguez put him in a headlock and noogied him mercilessly and then say he “popped” and was “sorry for doing that in the eyes of the media”. In my opinion, if Cashman can act like a dick and then get away with it because of his position as GM then Rodriguez can act like a dick and get away with it because of his position as a jock athlete.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I feel sorry for Cashman’s wife now, because he clearly sucks at apologizing.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM

You mean that nice lady who divorced him after his second affair that she knew of came to public knowledge through the extortion attempts of the second known mistress? She’s rich and single now – your sorry is obsolete.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Is this TMZ? You all know too much about these guys. Anyway, that still doesn’t negate the fact that he’s a lousy apologizer.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Maybe whenever cur stops giving you bj’s you can catch up on your baseball news.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Was that too funny or what? I’m used to being told to get a room on here but that’s my first bj. So exciting!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM

After I sent that one whooshing out there I had the briefest moment of concern that I might have misremembered, because that could certainly be taken the wrong way in the absence of a certain hilarious taunt.

I’m so jealous, no one ever tells me to get a room, they just tell me to go fuck myself. No wait, maybe that’s what I tell them. This life is full of confusion.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Hmmm. I never get gfy…I wonder why that is. Apparently, my vibe is slutty instead of solo. I shall have to consider that.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Phili-O – you’re muuuuuch nicer and more diplomatic than I. THAT’s why you don’t get gfy. When I sense a lack of humanity in a commenter I can get a little … ugly. Most of the people who tell me to fuck off have already taken heavy fire from Big Unk. When I get a gfy I think “oh good, I guess that one left a mark.”

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM

What? I get lots of personal hate. Usually it’s about how stupid I am and everyone hates me. I get attacked instead of just told to step off. What do you think that means? I always have a sneaking suspicion that they think I can be socialized into being a good little girl.

Also, is that why you stayed off the pride thread?

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I’m on vacation and working on a bottle of Bushmills 21-year old scotch – for the moment I just can’t trifle with trogolodytes.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Dudes and their scotch. No worries, I am kicking enough ass for the both of us. ;)

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I can’t believe I called that scotch. It’s single malt whiskey. I blame CC.

When I fall asleep tonight my ancestors will assault me with a sockful of quarters in fevered dreams.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Say hi to my gramma. Check her pockets before she leaves. She’ll lift the bottle.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve been told to get a room with you before. Interesting.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I think someone told me to get a room with OG once.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM

he he I think that was me! :D

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Saucy!

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Enjoying your vacation? It’s freaking hot here.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I always enjoy myself – vacations are no exception. Uhh – tomorrow is going to be worse for you. 104 is no joke.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM

But normal. I hibernate in the summer. Seriously, I’m probably the only person you’ll meet who gains weight in the summer from hiding indoors. I have to workout in air conditioning. I’m a delicate flower. Blah.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I start sweating when it turns 70 degrees. 104 is just incomprehensible to me. It was 90 here for two straight days and I hid in my room.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 10:54 PM

The good news is that the humidity should only be 60-70%. Of course, the heat index will be more like 110. If there’s a wind, it will be like being under a hair dryer all the time. I promise myself every year I’m gonna move north…

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I just finished All the Pretty Horses – there’s a funny bit about the wind (ok technically it’s Texas, but close enough) – one day the wind stopped blowing and all the chickens in the coops just fell over.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I used to read…

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:10 PM

In the last two months I’ve been on a reading binge. Last five – Blood Meridian, Visions of Cody, All the Pretty Horses, Carl Hiassen’s new book “Bad Monkey” (him real funny) and Neil Gaiman’s new novelette “The Ocean at the End of the Lane.”

Reading is fun. And fundamental.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM

It stopped being fun for me in grad school. I never have time anymore anyway. I’d enjoy a vacation just to hole up and read.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I’m all about reading on the beach. Take a walk – rent a cabana – read a book – repeat. But then, my mind isn’t cluttered with the desire for smoked Canadian meat.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM

lol I like the beach in Maine…not so much in the south. Hey, sleep in tomorrow for me, will you?

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM

That’s a definite. It’s waaayyy past my bedtime.

• cur68 - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Wait…who am I giving BJ’s too? “Philliac AGAIN?? Damn. I just did that YESTERDAY. Its so hard to keep track….And you two should get a room.

• historiophiliac - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM

No H8!

9. byjiminy - Jun 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM

If I were A-Rod, the next time I saw Brian Cashman, I would slowly draw out a hundred-dollar bill, light it, and drop it to the ground, then repeat this, over and over, staring Cashman in the eye the whole time without speaking, until Cashman swore or walked away. Then I would smile.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Greatest youtube video idea ever!

• mazblast - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM

That’s devious, awful, and terrible.

I like the way you think.

10. gostlcards5 - Jun 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Cashman looks like an asshat in the picture…fitting.

11. kev86 - Jun 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM

What a puppet. When is he going sky diving again?

12. jwbiii - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM

The oddest thing about this whole tempest in a pisspot is that Rodriguez’s twitter feed is about the most boring thing you can imagine. Unless you find daily updates on his rehab interesting.

13. vicvega422 - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Much respect to Cashman… More people should tell these athletes the same thing… Maybe then there will be less tools.

14. contraryguy - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Why does Cashman need to apologize? Be a boss, say your piece, and let the hired hands (esp. the crippled ones like ARod and Tex) stew about it. This is a club in need of a serious rebuild, damn the torpedoes and move forward with a few STFUs thrown in for good measure.

15. 27xwschamps - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Never apologize Mr, it’s a sign of weakness…

16. ateefah - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:55 AM

If you think Harry`s story is unimaginable,, last pay-check my brothers mother in-lw actually earned $7972 grafting seventeen hours a week from there house and the’re co-worker’s sister-in-law`s neighbour done this for 5 months and earnt over $7972 in their spare time from their laptop. apply the information at this site,go to this site home tab for more detail—>>> =========> CLICK HERE <=========

17. chlstn - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Considering the situation, the choice of words was fine. Top management didn’t like it so Cashman is forced to apologize.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3035)