ESPN makes it clear that Brian Cashman wasn’t speaking off the record

Jun 26, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

Brian Cashman

This is both fun and unusual.

When I heard Brian Cashman’ STFU comment I figured that, maybe, he said something he thought was off the record but really was on the record. And that, as a result, if he got in hot water for it, part of his and the Yankees’ statement and/or apology would involve saying that those comments weren’t meant for public consumption. And that’s the real problem, right? That Cashman was being rude and profane about an employee in the media?

Well, ESPN has posted a story about its actual reporting on the matter — not something you see every day — and it’s clearly calculated to head off any claim by Cashman that he was off the record:

As is typical for reporters and the newsmakers they regularly cover, conversations have elements that are both on and off the record, so [Andrew] Marchand clearly asked Cashman how he wanted to respond on-the-record.

Marchand said: “One thing was very clear. Cashman was not happy with Rodriguez’s tweet. When I asked for his on-the-record response, he replied with the quote that’s become the major thrust of this story, and then he hung up the phone.”

So, what do the Yankees say? If it’s anything besides an apology it’s not good enough.

1. rayburns - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM

If there is an apology, it will probably be for the use of profanity. I sincerely doubt that there will be any apology for the content of what was said. That the Yankees organization is getting a little tired of the prima donna ways of A-Rod isn’t really that big a secret.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I still fail to see how his tweet was prima donna-ish. (Also, maybe more gender appropriate to say divo….Devo…whip it good…)

• psuorioles - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I agree… didn’t Granderson just tweet something very similar?? Where is Cashman on this one?

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM

His tweet? No. But Alex Rodriquez? I am gonna guess much people would say…yes.

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I agree on the dude, but not on the tweet. Over-reacting there.

• jwbiii - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM

psuo’s:

Brace is finally off for non baseball activities. Another step closer! pic.twitter.com/ovS4XAlYjo— Curtis Granderson (@cgrand14) April 11, 2013

• blacksables - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Braided?

• historiophiliac - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Whatever the chicken wants, really.

• cur68 - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I’m with everyone else that thinks Alex Rodriguez did nothing so terrible. He had just got some good news. He made a little comment about it. The end. Cashman cussed out his player to the media over something not only trivial but also something he’s let other players slide on. If Brian Cashman doesn’t try and make this better he deserves a good kicking. Rodriguez has nothing to apologize for.

2. specialkindofstupid - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Perhaps the job has finally got to Cashman.

And when I say “the job”, I mean “Alex Rodriguez drama.” And when I say “got to”, I mean “sucked the joy of life and will out of.” And when I say “Cashman”, I of course mean “all of us.”

• Old Gator - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Or maybe Cashman was just having a bad day because another private detective sent a fresh set of photos to his wife.

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Also a possibility. Or maybe STFU is Cashman’s safe word/phrase, and he was momentarily confused when talking to the reporter?

3. flamethrower101 - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Whether or not A-Rod is the biggest diva in the world, Cashman was out of line. There were tons of other ways he could’ve worded his phrase without sounding like a dick, like “Our team doctors haven’t clear him to begin a rehab assignment yet” being the best option. Instead he looks like a dick.

I’ll be interested to see how the Yankees respond. Whether or not they’re tired of A-Rod is irrelevant; his comments were uncalled for and will only fuel the “Cut A-Rod!” rally.

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I agree 100%. (It’s just fun to poke fun at Rodriguez. And at Cashman, for that matter.)

• blacksables - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Because we know for a fact that they haven’t had private conversations about this very subject before?

And Rodriguez was told to let the people in charge deal with it?

I learned when I was little kid, that if two people are involved in something, there are two sides to it. Three people mean three sides, four people mean four sides, and so and so forth, and etc, etc.

Until or unless we know the conversations that took place, everything is usual speculation.

It’s a kid who got a BB gun for Christmas and shot the dog in the ass after being told not to.

Then got his his ass beat, and told his parents he hated them. Only instead of the 10-year old doing it, the entire blogosphere is saying it for him.

4. thebadguyswon - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Cashman is the singlemost overrated GM in baseball. He has no right to call out a player in the press.
    His obsession with over-the-hill veterans has set the Yankees back. Truth be known, he’s overdue to be fired anyway.

• turdfurgerson68 - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM

You’re 100% correct…but the cult of ‘Cashman apologists’ are sure to be upset with your observation.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM

He’s not horrible, just not that good either. I laugh at the Yankees farm. BTW, DJ postl. Overrated personified.

• djpostl - Jun 26, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Yeah, he has done such a piss poor job. I mean, look at how their farm system is just at rock bottom ( http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=20025 ).

Oh wait, that would be the White Sox.

5. turdfurgerson68 - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM

What a punk…

6. richieranger - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Good for u cash…we need to get rid of this bum.

7. sdelmonte - Jun 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Practically the first thing I ever learned when becoming a publicist is that there is no such thing as “off the record.” If you are talking to a reporter, anything you say can be used as an interview. I’ve had that happen to me more than once, where off the cuffs remarks that I thought were insubstantial became quoted later on. Got me in trouble a couple of times, in fact.

Cashman should know this. Period.

• djpostl - Jun 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM

He did. And like most Yankees fans he didn’t give a fuck.

8. ditto65 - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM

What’s lost in all of this is MLB’s approval and encouragement for players to use social media as a way to promote the game.

Alex Rodriguez was only sharing happy news on his progress. And Cashman took the opportunity to publicly blast him for it. STFU may have been motivated by the controversies surrounding Alex, but it is still inappropriate and inexcusable.

9. deathmonkey41 - Jun 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM

A-Rod should tweet- “Cashman should STFU and pay me!!!”

10. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Fully expect some more fury today:

btw, the first reply is great

11. djpostl - Jun 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM

As a Yankees fan I can give three shits about what you think. He said what I (and undoubtedly a great, great many fans of the team would have siad in the exact same position).

Afraud can eat my johnson. Dude has been doing nothing but cashing big checks and making the franchise look bad for a long time.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM

He’s also been, by far, the best player on the Yankees since he came over in ’03, and has received nothing but shit from fans like you. Maybe some of you can shut up and appreciate what he’s done for the franchise, like mentor all the young players, move off his preferred position for an inferior player without so much as a peep, and sit there and take the abuse without one complaint.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3578)