Jun 26, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
This is both fun and unusual.
When I heard Brian Cashman’ STFU comment I figured that, maybe, he said something he thought was off the record but really was on the record. And that, as a result, if he got in hot water for it, part of his and the Yankees’ statement and/or apology would involve saying that those comments weren’t meant for public consumption. And that’s the real problem, right? That Cashman was being rude and profane about an employee in the media?
Well, ESPN has posted a story about its actual reporting on the matter — not something you see every day — and it’s clearly calculated to head off any claim by Cashman that he was off the record:
As is typical for reporters and the newsmakers they regularly cover, conversations have elements that are both on and off the record, so [Andrew] Marchand clearly asked Cashman how he wanted to respond on-the-record.
Marchand said: “One thing was very clear. Cashman was not happy with Rodriguez’s tweet. When I asked for his on-the-record response, he replied with the quote that’s become the major thrust of this story, and then he hung up the phone.”
So, what do the Yankees say? If it’s anything besides an apology it’s not good enough.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)