Jun 26, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
This is both fun and unusual.
When I heard Brian Cashman’ STFU comment I figured that, maybe, he said something he thought was off the record but really was on the record. And that, as a result, if he got in hot water for it, part of his and the Yankees’ statement and/or apology would involve saying that those comments weren’t meant for public consumption. And that’s the real problem, right? That Cashman was being rude and profane about an employee in the media?
Well, ESPN has posted a story about its actual reporting on the matter — not something you see every day — and it’s clearly calculated to head off any claim by Cashman that he was off the record:
As is typical for reporters and the newsmakers they regularly cover, conversations have elements that are both on and off the record, so [Andrew] Marchand clearly asked Cashman how he wanted to respond on-the-record.
Marchand said: “One thing was very clear. Cashman was not happy with Rodriguez’s tweet. When I asked for his on-the-record response, he replied with the quote that’s become the major thrust of this story, and then he hung up the phone.”
So, what do the Yankees say? If it’s anything besides an apology it’s not good enough.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 53
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)