Jun 26, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
This is both fun and unusual.
When I heard Brian Cashman’ STFU comment I figured that, maybe, he said something he thought was off the record but really was on the record. And that, as a result, if he got in hot water for it, part of his and the Yankees’ statement and/or apology would involve saying that those comments weren’t meant for public consumption. And that’s the real problem, right? That Cashman was being rude and profane about an employee in the media?
Well, ESPN has posted a story about its actual reporting on the matter — not something you see every day — and it’s clearly calculated to head off any claim by Cashman that he was off the record:
As is typical for reporters and the newsmakers they regularly cover, conversations have elements that are both on and off the record, so [Andrew] Marchand clearly asked Cashman how he wanted to respond on-the-record.
Marchand said: “One thing was very clear. Cashman was not happy with Rodriguez’s tweet. When I asked for his on-the-record response, he replied with the quote that’s become the major thrust of this story, and then he hung up the phone.”
So, what do the Yankees say? If it’s anything besides an apology it’s not good enough.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 39
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 40
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 26
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 65
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)