Jun 26, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
This is both fun and unusual.
When I heard Brian Cashman’ STFU comment I figured that, maybe, he said something he thought was off the record but really was on the record. And that, as a result, if he got in hot water for it, part of his and the Yankees’ statement and/or apology would involve saying that those comments weren’t meant for public consumption. And that’s the real problem, right? That Cashman was being rude and profane about an employee in the media?
Well, ESPN has posted a story about its actual reporting on the matter — not something you see every day — and it’s clearly calculated to head off any claim by Cashman that he was off the record:
As is typical for reporters and the newsmakers they regularly cover, conversations have elements that are both on and off the record, so [Andrew] Marchand clearly asked Cashman how he wanted to respond on-the-record.
Marchand said: “One thing was very clear. Cashman was not happy with Rodriguez’s tweet. When I asked for his on-the-record response, he replied with the quote that’s become the major thrust of this story, and then he hung up the phone.”
So, what do the Yankees say? If it’s anything besides an apology it’s not good enough.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 0
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 7
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 31
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)