Jun 26, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Cabrera was off to a solid start before the quadriceps injury, hitting .254 with five homers and a .745 OPS to basically match his career numbers. Mike Aviles, who had been filling in as the Indians’ starting shortstop, will now go back to a utility role.
McDonald was acquired from the Pirates after Cabrera went down to provide some middle infield depth. He got a grand total of eight plate appearances for the Indians and at age 38 may have to put in some time at Triple-A if he wants to continue playing in the majors.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20