Jun 26, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Cabrera was off to a solid start before the quadriceps injury, hitting .254 with five homers and a .745 OPS to basically match his career numbers. Mike Aviles, who had been filling in as the Indians’ starting shortstop, will now go back to a utility role.
McDonald was acquired from the Pirates after Cabrera went down to provide some middle infield depth. He got a grand total of eight plate appearances for the Indians and at age 38 may have to put in some time at Triple-A if he wants to continue playing in the majors.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)