Jun 26, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Cabrera was off to a solid start before the quadriceps injury, hitting .254 with five homers and a .745 OPS to basically match his career numbers. Mike Aviles, who had been filling in as the Indians’ starting shortstop, will now go back to a utility role.
McDonald was acquired from the Pirates after Cabrera went down to provide some middle infield depth. He got a grand total of eight plate appearances for the Indians and at age 38 may have to put in some time at Triple-A if he wants to continue playing in the majors.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)