Jun 26, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Cabrera was off to a solid start before the quadriceps injury, hitting .254 with five homers and a .745 OPS to basically match his career numbers. Mike Aviles, who had been filling in as the Indians’ starting shortstop, will now go back to a utility role.
McDonald was acquired from the Pirates after Cabrera went down to provide some middle infield depth. He got a grand total of eight plate appearances for the Indians and at age 38 may have to put in some time at Triple-A if he wants to continue playing in the majors.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)