Jun 26, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Cabrera was off to a solid start before the quadriceps injury, hitting .254 with five homers and a .745 OPS to basically match his career numbers. Mike Aviles, who had been filling in as the Indians’ starting shortstop, will now go back to a utility role.
McDonald was acquired from the Pirates after Cabrera went down to provide some middle infield depth. He got a grand total of eight plate appearances for the Indians and at age 38 may have to put in some time at Triple-A if he wants to continue playing in the majors.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)