Jun 26, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
No. 1 pick Mark Appel has already signed, as have 3-4-5 picks Jonathan Gray, Kohl Stewart, and Clint Frazier, but Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that No. 2 pick Kris Bryant is “nowhere close to a deal” with the Cubs.
July 15 is the deadline for the Cubs to sign the San Diego slugger who nearly lapped the field with an NCAA-leading 31 homers this season and Heyman says he’s asking for more than the slot recommended $6.7 million bonus.
Bryant is represented by agent Scott Boras, who not surprisingly thinks his client should receive the draft’s highest bonus. As a junior Bryant has the same leverage as Mark Appel last season in that he can go back to school for his senior year, but the big difference is that Appel fell to No. 8 last year and passed on a $3.8 million offer from the Pirates. Bryant doesn’t have nearly as much to gain and a lot more to lose.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (122)