Jun 26, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Dylan Bundy, who came into this season as the consensus top pitching prospect in baseball and hasn’t thrown a pitch since being shut down with elbow soreness in spring training, will undergo Tommy John surgery tomorrow.
Bundy attempted to rehab the injury, but experienced a setback and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that doctors discovered a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament that had gotten worse. Dr. James Andrews will perform the surgery and Bundy will miss the remainder of this season and most of next season.
Bundy was the No. 4 pick in the 2011 draft out of high school and blitzed through the Orioles’ farm system before making his MLB debut in September as a 19-year-old. Baseball America and MLB.com both ranked him as the No. 1 pitching prospect in baseball, but now he may not see the majors again until 2015.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)