Jun 26, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Dylan Bundy, who came into this season as the consensus top pitching prospect in baseball and hasn’t thrown a pitch since being shut down with elbow soreness in spring training, will undergo Tommy John surgery tomorrow.
Bundy attempted to rehab the injury, but experienced a setback and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that doctors discovered a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament that had gotten worse. Dr. James Andrews will perform the surgery and Bundy will miss the remainder of this season and most of next season.
Bundy was the No. 4 pick in the 2011 draft out of high school and blitzed through the Orioles’ farm system before making his MLB debut in September as a 19-year-old. Baseball America and MLB.com both ranked him as the No. 1 pitching prospect in baseball, but now he may not see the majors again until 2015.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)