Jun 26, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
Rafael Betancourt is expected to come off the disabled list Friday and Jason Mastrodonato of MLB.com reports that he’ll slide right back into the Rockies’ closer role despite fill-in Rex Brothers doing a fantastic job.
Betancourt has missed the past month with a groin injury, during which time Brothers has thrown 8.2 shutout innings while converting all three of his save chances. And overall this season Brothers has a 0.28 ERA (yes, zero-point-two-eight) in 32.1 innings.
It’s a nice problem to have, of course, and Betancourt has quietly been one of the best closers in baseball since taking over the job full time last season, saving 42 games with a 2.91 ERA and 79/21 K/BB ratio in 77 innings despite calling Coors Field home.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (288)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)