Jun 26, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
Rafael Betancourt is expected to come off the disabled list Friday and Jason Mastrodonato of MLB.com reports that he’ll slide right back into the Rockies’ closer role despite fill-in Rex Brothers doing a fantastic job.
Betancourt has missed the past month with a groin injury, during which time Brothers has thrown 8.2 shutout innings while converting all three of his save chances. And overall this season Brothers has a 0.28 ERA (yes, zero-point-two-eight) in 32.1 innings.
It’s a nice problem to have, of course, and Betancourt has quietly been one of the best closers in baseball since taking over the job full time last season, saving 42 games with a 2.91 ERA and 79/21 K/BB ratio in 77 innings despite calling Coors Field home.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)