Jun 26, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Rickie Weeks was so brutally bad in April and May that the Brewers called up Triple-A infielder Scooter Gennett and have been starting him at second base over Weeks in about half the games this month. Whether or not that motivated Weeks is unclear, but whatever the case he’s on an incredible tear that has turned around his whole season.
Weeks hit .183 with three homers and a .565 OPS in 51 games through the end of May, striking out 59 times versus 23 walks.
So far in June he’s 18-for-42 (.429) with five homers and a 1.381 OPS in 15 games, with an 8/5 K/BB ratio. That includes last night’s big game against the Cubs, in which Weeks went 3-for-4 with two homers and four RBIs.
In the span of 48 plate appearances Weeks raised his overall batting average from .183 to .230 and his overall OPS from .565 to .723. And he’s started the past three games at second base, so presumably that time-sharing arrangement with Gennett is on ice for a while.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (154)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)