Jun 26, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
Was waiting for this. Bob Klapisch — a man who never disappoints when it comes to the A-Rod/Jeter silliness — weighs in on L’affaire STFU:
The fact alone that Rodriguez is on Twitter is irritating to the club. Put it this way: Derek Jeter would never end up on Twitter, talking about himself. The captain, in fact, is so self-contained he blew off Michael Kay’s request to spend an inning in the YES broadcast booth Sunday.
Jeter, who was at the Stadium over the weekend before returning to Tampa, politely told Kay the booth was for retired players only. It’s as if Jeter was saying: Real Yankees, at least the ones lucky enough to still be on the field, keep it to themselves.
Thought experiment: A-Rod blows off Michael Kay’s request and Jeter offers public statements about how he’s rip-roarin’ and ready to play baseball, even if the team hadn’t cleared him yet. What’s the reaction?
Why do I feel like, in that instance, A-Rod would still be the selfish villan and Jeter the uber-competitor?
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)