Jun 26, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
Was waiting for this. Bob Klapisch — a man who never disappoints when it comes to the A-Rod/Jeter silliness — weighs in on L’affaire STFU:
The fact alone that Rodriguez is on Twitter is irritating to the club. Put it this way: Derek Jeter would never end up on Twitter, talking about himself. The captain, in fact, is so self-contained he blew off Michael Kay’s request to spend an inning in the YES broadcast booth Sunday.
Jeter, who was at the Stadium over the weekend before returning to Tampa, politely told Kay the booth was for retired players only. It’s as if Jeter was saying: Real Yankees, at least the ones lucky enough to still be on the field, keep it to themselves.
Thought experiment: A-Rod blows off Michael Kay’s request and Jeter offers public statements about how he’s rip-roarin’ and ready to play baseball, even if the team hadn’t cleared him yet. What’s the reaction?
Why do I feel like, in that instance, A-Rod would still be the selfish villan and Jeter the uber-competitor?
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)