And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Jun 27, 2013, 6:53 AM EST

R.A. Dickey

Blue Jays 3, Rays 0: R.A. Dickey throws a Maddux (i.e. a shutout in under 100 pitches), with his knuckler back up to the velocity he featured so often during his Cy Young season. Game was over in two hours, ten minutes.

Athletics 5, Reds 0: A.J. Griffin needed 108 pitches for his two-hit shutout and the game lasted ten more minutes but he still did it. Surprising too, given that he walked two of the first three batters he faced in the game.

Marlins 5, Twins 3: Placido Polanco — who I had no idea played for the Marlins, if that tells you how much attention I pay to the Marlins — homered for the first time in a year. Jeff Mathis hit one too. That’s the Marlins’ 13th win this month, which ensures they’ll have a winning record for June. How about them apples?

Phillies 7, Padres 5: This one ended in the 13th inning when Ben Revere hit a grounder to second baseman Logan Forsythe who (a) bobbled it; and (b) made an errant throw home. Two runs scored and that’s all Philly needed. Philly lost the first one of this series in awful fashion but then took the final two. Tell anyone who talks about momentum in baseball to get bent.

Rangers 8, Yankees 5Nelson Cruz homered and  Adrian Beltre and A.J. Pierzynski hit back-to-back two-run doubles. Andy Pettitte was more like Andy MEHttitte again.

Nationals 3, Diamondbacks 2: Jordan Zimmermann gave up two runs on three hits in seven innings. The runs and two of those hits came in the first. The final six were dominant.

Pirates 4, Mariners 2: Felix Hernandez struck out 11 and gave up only two runs, but as so often is the case with him on this team, it wasn’t enough. The Buccos rallied for two in the ninth to break the tie and win the game. Six straight wins for the Pirates, who are now tied with the Cardinals for both the NL Central lead and the best record in all of baseball.

Cubs 5, Brewers 4: At the other end of the division, the Brewers loss here ties them with the Cubs for last in the NL Central. Scott Feldman pitched well and Kevin Gregg bent pretty hard but did not break in the ninth.

Dodgers 4, Giants 2: The sweep. If you didn’t pick the Giants to win the NL West odds had you picking the Dodgers before the season began. Now these two are in fourth and fifth place, respectively. Clayton Kershaw gave up two runs over eight innings.

Reds Sox 5, Rockies 3: John Lackey‘s fastball was up to 95 and he struck out 12 over seven innings. Roy Oswalt failed to impress for the second straight time, allowing five runs in six innings.

Indians 4, Orioles 3: A one run lead in the ninth? Call Jim Johnson. Jim Johnson. Wat R U doin’? Jim Johnson. Stahp! Walk-double-walk-fielder’s choice-fielder’s choice, lead blown.

Angels 7, Tigers 4: The Angels have won eight straight over the Tigers. Mike Trout homered and drove in three. Tommy Hanson was scratched from the start before the game and was replaced by Billy Buckner and a cast of thousands. More or less.

Mets 3, White Sox 0: Eight shutout innings for Shaun Marcum who picks up his first win of the year. Eric Young Jr. was 3 for 4.

Royals 4, Braves 3: The Royals blew a 3-0 lead in the seventh but then Alex Gordon won it with a walkoff single in the 10th.

Astros 4, Cardinals 3: St. Louis has now lost four of five and, as noted above, fall into a first place tie with Pittsburgh. I predict now I will be asked 100 times this week if Pittsburgh is for real. No one ever asks me if the Cardinals are for real.

1. ateefah - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:54 AM

my co-worker’s sister-in-law makes $74 every hour on the internet. She has been laid off for 9 months but last month her payment was $17696 just working on the internet for a few hours. Go to this web site and read morego to this site home tab for more detail—>>> =========> CLICK HERE <=========

• detroitr1 - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Yes, but can she close out games or work the 8th inning?

• proudlycanadian - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Good one.

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:07 AM

^^^^ Thinking that the guys who work on the database need to set soem rules up to flag these posters….ro soon they will over run the joint.

Bad night for Hamels, glad to see the offense bail him out. Still…….MY GOD!!! What the hell is it going to take????

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:15 AM

better players

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I meant what is it going to take for Hamels to get it in gear.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:31 AM

So did I – better defensive players behind him, better hitters getting him a lead. The Phillies have been mismanaged into a bad team.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I am not defending the Phillies overall play by any means. Not for one second. But Hamels ERA since Mid may has been 4.97, and he has got roughed up many times. You cannot keep throwing up crooked numbers and call your self an ace – or blame the team. Besides, thats Paplebohns job

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:45 AM

ERA is possibly the single worst way to decide which pitcher is doing his job. Hamels has only been marginally worse than last year, and he’s also been unlucky in some extreme ways, his strand rate is very low and his BABIP is very high. He’s walking a few more guys, striking out a few less, but overall there isn’t a huge difference in his fielding-independent stats. He had deserved better results.

And like I said, his team is really bad.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Suite yourself – I don’t see how you can say Hamels has been any better then a .500 pitcher. And that is not what an ace is – which is why I wonder what it will take to get him better than a .500 pitcher

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Listen to unclemoses. He’s right. His BABIP is high–.315. He is getting unlucky on balls hit into play, likely because his defense might have difficulty catching spaghetti in a strainer. That in turns elevates his WHIP, which is average this year, 1.30, because more hits are being allowed. More baserunners, higher probablity of runs scoring, higher ERA. His K/9 ratio is excellent too. His BB/9 at 2.80 is only average, but not terrible. FIP is pretty good too, 3.97.

Pitching seems like it is all on the pitcher, but it is a team dependent position.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM

@inda – I’ll give you credit for probably being the first person in history to combine BAPIP, WHIP and FIP with “unlucky on balls hit into play” ;)

Cole gives his team a chance to win every other time out. That is by definition a 4 or 5 starter. Amazing that Jonthan Pettibone, Kyle Kendrick and Cliff Lee miraculously avoid this defense that alledgly plagues Hamels. Hamels is not “2012 Cliff Lee” right now – he is a .500 pitcher at the moment.

The Phillies are playing poorly – which is why Hamels is 2-11 rather then 7-6.

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Everything I say sounds dirty whether I mean it or not. In this case, it was innocent. It’s both a gift and a curse.

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Delaware has a point Moses. Cliff Lee and Kyle Kendrick pitch on the mound with the same team and have had more success. Hamels in theory should be as good if not better than Lee. Are we going to blame exclusively BABIP on this one? I remember a game the Phillies gave Hamels a 3 run lead right off the bat, but he got roughed up and ended up losing that game. I’m sure all the metrics say Hamels has been above average and the W-L is definitely attributable to the inconsistent offense and bullpen. But Hamels isn’t being paid to be above average.

Sally treat your gift wisely. With great power comes great responsibility, or so I’ve heard.

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

FC, ever so reasonable. Good advice to me too. I shall use my powers judiciously.

Let’s look at the numbers because like my hips, they don’t lie. (I kid. Both lie.) Anyhow, Lee first. He’s an elite pitcher. His numbers blow my mind. 0.96 WHIP (whut?!), 1.37 BB/9, 0.5 HR/9, 7.99 K/9, 75.7% strand rate, FIP 2.68. His BABIP is also a favorable .280 but clearly, Lee is the shit. Diesel. If your standard is Lee, precious few will measure up.

Kendrick up to the plate. 5.74 K/9. Eh. Well, they can’t all blow it past the hitter. BB/9 2.19. Very good. He does not hurt his own cause. 1.19 WHIP, also very nice. 0.8 HR/9, excellent. 3.93 FIP, good, but not Lee’s amazing number. 73.5% strand rate. Pretty high. BABIP is almost identical to Lee’s. .281. Favorable.

Hamels is not having as bad a year as his record suggests. His numbers are slightly off his career rate, but BABIP can be a karmic bitch. There is a 35 point difference between Hamels’ and Lee/ Kendrick’s. Hamels has been the victim of some bad luck. Hamels might be paid to be an elite pitcher and he’s pitching above average. I’m sure he’s not wilfully trying to underperform. Best watch yourself… starting to sound like an Empire fan. ;-)

• spudchukar - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

ERA is a much more solid stat than BABIP.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM

@inda – yes. Which brings us right back to where we started – “I wonder what it is going to take for Hamels to get it in gear”

No one is saying he is a 2-11 pitcher. We are saying he is not pitching the way he is capable of…..and we wonder when he will.

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Back to unclemoses’s original point, DelawarePhillie.

Spud, provocative statement. Would you mind elaborating? One is not less valid than the other. To me, the different stats are like looking at one object from different vantage points. Each view gives you a clearer picture of the whole, a better idea of its essence.

3. uyf1950 - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Someone please put Joba out of his misery. He’s killing the Yankees all by himself. Note to Joe Girardi, unless the Yankees are either winning or losing by at least 7 runs keep him out of the game, please.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:23 AM

PS to Girardi: Kindly ignore the above advice issued in complete sincerity by my friend.

• uyf1950 - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:27 AM

My friend, that’s cold. But completely understandable from the fan of an East Division rival.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I understand the pain of Yankee fans when Joba gets on the mound. He simply destroyed the momentum that the Yankees had going for them last night. They were getting back into the game and then the Joba inning did them in. Seeing Joba pitch is worse than a trip to the dentist.

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I second PC’s sentiments. Joba is a gift from Jobu (to other AL East teams).

• cur68 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Mo Joba. Less Mo.

Thank you.

• bendover09 - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Typical Yankee fan … I guess the error by the third basemen did not hurt only caused a run or two or the error in center field that was an easy fly ball. How about your stellar manager ?? He subs in a .180’ish batter for the hottest hitter on the team, Ichiro. You might as well blame Arod and Tex why your at it .

• uyf1950 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I was going to take the time to respond to your comment, but then I noticed your moniker “bendover09″. I thought to myself who gives them self a moniker “bendover09″? The only answer I could come up with is a…..Typical Asshole. You will have to pardon my language but what else do you expect from someone you call a typical Yankees fan.

BTW, I really don’t enjoy sinking to your level but in this case you gave me no choice.

• APBA Guy - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM

It’s at times like these that we all miss Len. In his honor, I shall intone:

“THE FAT TOAD”

I feel better now, more complete.

4. therealtrenches - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Agreed on all points, Delaware.

Hey Craig, like it or not, it’s your job to discuss things like whether or not Pittsburgh is for real. Is such a question beneath you? Consider yourself lucky to have such a job.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:16 AM

What an idiotic, dickish comment. Crawl back under whatever you crawled out from under.

• therealtrenches - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Uh oh…here come the Calcaterra sycophants…(the Craig-ettes).

Sorry moses…but it’s “idiotic and dickish” for baseball writers to whine, in print no less, about having to discuss things like whether this or that team is “for real,” as if they can’t be bothered with such topics. It’s part of his job, especially in late June.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM

You’re sorry, I’ll give you that much.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Before, I only said your comment was idiotic and dickish, which is definitely was and is. But now I see that you *personally* are an idiot and a completely irrational dickhead. The world would be better off without you in it. Think about that. Your mere absence would improve things.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Get a holf of yoursefl!

The guy doesn’t like Craig – and yea, I too don’t get why people keep coming here only to say that. But 7 insults got your point across, no need to wish him dead.

• historiophiliac - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I think I’m sensing why you get the gfy, Mo G.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

You see? By the light of day everything is so much clearer.

• historiophiliac - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Wrong. When it’s 102*, everything is lost in a haze of heat. Good to see you’re back to form.

• nbjays - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:17 AM

No need to wish the guy dead, Mo…. just wish him to be a diehard Marlins or Astros fan. That’s WORSE than being dead.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM

And if I ever get ahold of you I’m going to eat…your…brayyyyyyinnnnnnn…..

• nolanwiffle - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Can somebody please make a racist comment in order to cheer Unk Mo up. He seems unhappy with his life……again.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Mo didn’t wish him dead. He wished him gone from this world. There is precedent for people suddenly to vanish – stumbling by accident into spacetime warps and squirted into an alternative dimension like a watermelon seed. I bet you that’s what Mo was talking about.

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:07 AM

He could disappear through a tesseract.

Unclemoses isn’t cranky. Just misunderstood by dumb people. It can make one appear cranky.

Why people spend time reading a baseball blog by a writer they don’t like is beyond me. Life’s too short to make oneself miserable.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM

@gator – I get the cheeky-ness of your comment, and the techncalities of not using the word “dead”, But I’ll stand by my comment that the words were way more then necessary.

All of us on here – myself included – forget that other posters on here are people. With families, and hopefully friends. And that comment was way overboard

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

You have a divine right to your opinion. I didn’t and don’t wish death upon this person I’ve never met, I’m merely pointing out that the world is better off without his or her particularly feeble-minded brand of irrational commentary. I started off talking about the comment.

And I REALLY don’t like being called a sycophant, because nothing could possibly be further from the truth. My best and closest friends all know that I will tell them in great detail with facts and examples when they are wrong about something important.

If a person makes the world a worse, meaner place by the way they are living, there is a less permanent solution — try to be better — try to think more clearly. I would start there.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Yes – then again, you have nary a clue the way he leads his life.

He called you a sycophant. You called him idiotic/dickless 7 times. I think you made your point.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Everything must be so confusing to you.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Thank you very much, Mr. “Make the World Less Mean”

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM

This anger at Cole Hamels is unseemly and irrational. Do you think he’s slightly underperforming his track record to specifically piss you off? You just aren’t making a whole lot of sense.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM

The “anger at Cole Hamels”…..that would be based on me saying “MY GOD?? What is it going to take to get it going??”

If that is anger to you, then a blessed life you lead.

• nolanwiffle - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Uncle Mo- who really made the “world” a worse place? The guy who made a mild complaint about the lack of positive posts regarding the Bucs or the guy who then called that guy an idiot and a dickhead?

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM

You aren’t a very careful reader or writer, are you?

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I want both of you to go back to your corners until the next bell.

Indy: I prefer “octachoron.” It has nice inferences of the Humboldt squid population explosion. “Tesseract” sounds too much like the name of some obscure nineteenth century Swiss postal clerk who did math in his spare time and made the mistake of corresponding with Lobachevsky.

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I like tesseracts, OG. The fifth dimension. Folding portals to time travel through space. You can disappear that way. Madeline L’Engle. Cool stuff.

Are the boys out of their time out yet? Can they come out and play now?

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I never stay in the naughty corner. I’m just on vacation.

• chill1184 - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I think it would be fair to ask that question in late July or in mid August IMO

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Trench: I am far from a C.C. apologist. In fact, I tend to enjoy disagreeing with him.
      On topics that actually have some ass to them. His comment about the Pirates was a joke. Nothing more.
      Take a deep breath and lighten up yo’!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

It was more than just a joke. No one wants to believe in the Pirates yet except for Pirates fans because it’s been so long since they succeeded. They may be a better team than the Cards right now, but it’s so new that the question will be asked many more times than one hundred.

5. kcrobert10 - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Glade the royals got 1 should of been 2 from Atlanta. Once again we need a power rbi bat to help the offense and this move needs to happen before the all star break in my opinion.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Well, if you start sawing off the bat heads and hollowing out the barrels now, you could have them all corked and re-dynamated into genuine power RBI bats by the all star break.

• kcrobert10 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM

We couldn’t even get them to take steroids 10 yrs ago so I doubt that’s an option.

6. proudlycanadian - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I want to once again thank Jason Lukeheart for coming up with the wonderful stat now enshrined as a “Maddux”.

• professormaddog31 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM

…and I would like to thank Greg Maddux for being such a quality pitcher to begin with, which gives us this stat. :)

/goes back into my den

7. takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:39 AM

What, no mention of Scott Kazmir having a no-no through 7 last night? Sheesh!

8. natslady - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Craig wasn’t whining. Sheesh. It was a funny way of pointing out that pundits are in love with the Cards (e.g., Buster Olney) and can’t believe the Pirates won’t fold. Again. Especially if they have another 19-inning game.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Craig doesn’t whine unless you moisten your fingertip and pass it gently in slow circles – like the hind leg of a wharfarined mouse – slowly around the top of his head. It’s called a head harmonica. He should try that for the next HBT extra. Or I guess he could talk about the Pirates.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM

In fairness…he also whines about Chief Wahoo a great deal. But so do a lot of people.

• spudchukar - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Thanks for the early morning chuckle. The image of Craig circulating his pate and producing a sound is special. However, something tells me the echo might more resemble a screech, than a whine.

• professormaddog31 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Yeah, I just thought it was a snarky joke. Maybe I’m of a generation that automatically assumes that everything is dripping in sarcasm, though.

9. theageofquarrel - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:31 AM

LET’S GO BUCS!!!

10. chill1184 - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Certainly love the pick up of Eric Young Jr by Alderson so far. He’s eventually going to cool off as standard baseball dictates but not a bad deal for McHugh

11. koufaxmitzvah - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM

5 wins in a row. I’m not going to take too much credit, but I did move my one-size too large Dodger cap from the hat rack to ontop the coffee table pointed directly at the TV last Saturday.

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I think you deserve complete credit.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I don’t like bragging, but it’s a team of 24 and me.

I’m in it to win it, Inda, and I’m doing all that I can.

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM

That’s more like it. You gotta play it one game at a time, and remember to do the impossible–give 110%.

12. Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM

The Pad People come in tonight to bring a little of their sunset side junnessykwa to Macondo Banana Massacre Field. Yesterday’s game was in the afternoon so I’ve already forgotten what happened – other than that Craig reminded me that Placido Polanco hit his annual home run and Kevin Slowey appears to have stabilized himself and won another game. There was a time, until last week ackcherley, when we were beginning to wonder if he would ever win a game for the rest of his life. Reecky Nolasco takes the mound in what could be his final showcase for Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua, who are already dummying up new ledgers with Reecky’s salary removed and dribbling on their nappies at the sudden tumescence of the bottom line.

As others have perspicaciously pointed out recently, that would mean that the four highest paid players on the Feesh roaster would all be playing for other teams (and that’s without even figgerin’ in the balance of Comrade Slobbering Ozzie’s contract).

Where will Reecky wake up tomorrow? That is the beeg question this morning.

13. stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Good job Pirates! Shaping up to be one hell of a second half.
    Yeah…I am pretty sure this team is for real.

14. Francisco (FC) - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Yeah no question they’re for real. It’s not like the past where we would note: “McCutchen is carrying the team” or “Charlie Morton can’t possibly pitch like an ace all season” etc. etc.

15. Francisco (FC) - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

BTW I Absolutely LOVE this description of Revere’s hit: “Ben Revere tapped the eighth pitch he saw in the 13th inning to deep second base.” DEEP second base. Man if Revere had any less power he’d be some kind of exotic mass with negative energy.

16. spudchukar - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Congrats to the Pirates for their inspirational play, and record. That said, the question as to whether the Pirates “are for real” has value. In 2011 and 2012 the Pirates found themselves in a similar position at this time in the season, only to fold significantly in the second half. St. Louis went on to win the WS in 2011, and come within one game of retuning in 2012 as the Pirates and their fans watched.

My best guess is that the Pirates will reverse this trend and hang in and be in the running with St. Louis and Cincinnati come September. However, the Cards have a +113 run differential, the Pirates only +36. St. Louis is 1st in runs scored, the Pirates are 10th, Cards 2nd in OPS, while Pittsburgh ranks 10th.

Defensively, St. Louis is first, Pittsburgh 12th.

The only place where the Pirates have comparative numbers lies with their pitching. They rank 1st, St. Louis 3rd, and it is very close. Due primarily to a fantastic bull pen. The Cards starters have 45 quality starts to Pittsburgh’s 36 and enjoy a 3.06 starter ERA to Pittsburgh’s 3.32.

So the Cards have significant history, hitting, fielding, and starting pitching edges. That doesn’t guarantee St. Louis any victories or future success, but if one were to bet on whether which team is “real”, the intelligent choice should go to the Cards.

• clemente2 - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I think your well-explained stats indicate StL is the likely better team. They do not mean Pitt is not “real”.

17. APBA Guy - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM

The A’s played an afternoon non-televised game yesterday, one of about 20 that they do during the year. Unlike the Giants, who televise every game, the A’s were such a weak draw that the local Comcast channel figured they’d do better with Cindy Crawford Beauty Secrets for the 3000000th time, so no Wednesday daytime A’s games. And even though they are in 1st place, the A’s and Comcast can’t seem to come together and modify the contract. Sort of like Congress.

And it’s not like AJ has been tossing CG 2-hitters every start. This one was a gem. Votto facing a RH like Griffin, 88-90 mph, you have to figure he’s good for his usual 1-2 hits. Not yesterday.

So in an unseasonable heat wave, about 74 degrees at game time, we A’s fans were treated to the pleasure of Jon Miller calling the Giants/Dodgers game. That takes the sting out of no A’s game. Sunset in LA, Jon Miller, Kershaw v. Timmy. Wow.

And Timmy tried, for 5 innings he matched Kershaw. Then it all went horribly wrong.

I have to ask OG, who is this Hanley Ramirez who is hitting .375 with an 1.102 OPS? Is he related to the chubby guy who looked like dead weight at Marlins shortstop, then third base?

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM

In all probability, he was able to take advantage of his long stint on the DL to make some kind of arrangement to rid himself – temporarily – of that accursed .342 amulet, and Pazuzu along with it. Of course, it’s likely making its way back to his nighttable so that he will awaken to find it again some morning in the not too distant future. Which is to say, the Hanster is streaky. He had periods of being the pre-anathematized Hanster even after Scrooge McLoria bestowed the blighted neckpiece upon him – and then, like a bullfrog being drained to pond scum by a giant waterbug, his stats would begin to shrink and he’d be the sulking prima donna hitting .243 again and leaving runners stranded like Pincher Martin before too many more weeks passed.

So enjoy the spectacle while it lasts. But, like a pet cicaida, don’t get too attached to him.

• APBA Guy - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Well, after the last two games I’m a little afraid to walk down Cesar Chavez Street, afraid of what I might see in the shadows, a gather of huddled figures, a murmur of voices, a flash of rum and flame, then, in a beam of light, the clear image of a Hanster doll with a hair pin in its back. And the stranding would begin…

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5439)