Jun 27, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
On the disabled list with a strained shoulder, Anibal Sanchez is scheduled to begin a minor-league rehab assignment Monday at Single-A.
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Sanchez will likely throw around 60 pitches, which suggests he might be making more than one start in the minors before rejoining the Tigers’ rotation. Sanchez was cleared for the rehab assignment following a 30-pitch bullpen session this morning that apparently went well.
Before being shut down Sanchez was fantastic for the Tigers, throwing 82 innings with a 2.76 ERA and 101/23 K/BB ratio, but he struggled in his last outing on June 15 and manager Jim Leyland gave him a quick hook after realizing he clearly wasn’t right physically.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69