Jun 27, 2013, 12:01 AM EDT
The Braves were dealt at least a modest blow Wednesday with the news that Ramiro Pena, who has been on the DL since June 21 with a right shoulder impingement, will need season-ending surgery for a torn labrum.
It was a big surprise this winter when the Braves signed Pena to a major league contract as a minor league free agent; the 27-year-old hit just .233/.266/.288 in 313 at-bats over part of four season with the Yankees. However, he was an immediate success as a utilityman for in Atlanta, driving in six runs in his first three starts for the team. Overall, he was hitting .278/.330/.443 in 97 at-bats.
The loss of Pena means Tyler Pastornicky will get a chance to stick as a utilityman. Last year’s Opening Day shortstop, Pastornicky was supposed to spend this season playing regularly in Triple-A. He’s gone 4-for-14 in two stints with the Braves this year.
The Braves likely will be in the market for a veteran infielder next month, preferably someone with enough pop to spell Chris Johnson at third against some righties.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (76)