Jun 27, 2013, 12:01 AM EDT
The Braves were dealt at least a modest blow Wednesday with the news that Ramiro Pena, who has been on the DL since June 21 with a right shoulder impingement, will need season-ending surgery for a torn labrum.
It was a big surprise this winter when the Braves signed Pena to a major league contract as a minor league free agent; the 27-year-old hit just .233/.266/.288 in 313 at-bats over part of four season with the Yankees. However, he was an immediate success as a utilityman for in Atlanta, driving in six runs in his first three starts for the team. Overall, he was hitting .278/.330/.443 in 97 at-bats.
The loss of Pena means Tyler Pastornicky will get a chance to stick as a utilityman. Last year’s Opening Day shortstop, Pastornicky was supposed to spend this season playing regularly in Triple-A. He’s gone 4-for-14 in two stints with the Braves this year.
The Braves likely will be in the market for a veteran infielder next month, preferably someone with enough pop to spell Chris Johnson at third against some righties.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)