Darren Daulton has two brain tumors

Jun 27, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

Image (1) daulton.jpg for post 3389

Via Crossing Broad, some sad news about Darren Daulton. This statement was released from 97.5 FM in Philly:

Darren Daulton has not been feeling well over the past two weeks. He went to the doctor who discovered two brain tumors and is scheduled for surgery early next week.  Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family at this difficult time. Of course we want to respect his privacy at a time like this, but if you would like to send him get well wishes you may do so at dutch@975thefanatic.com

Daulton is a very different dude than most ex-players. He believes in alchemy, auras, telepathy, energy transfers, astral planes, planetary ascension, and parallel universes.  He believes that he had an had out of body experiences while playing at Wrigley Field one day. He believes that the universe is created and sustained by numerical synchronicities, and is particularly enamored with the number 11.

Here’s hoping that, along with medical treatment, he can tap into some power to help him get through this.

Get well soon, Dutch.

1. gothapotamus90210 - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Best wishes to the Captain of Macho Row.

2. jaybyrd99 - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Wow , good luck dutch ! Seems like a lot of brain tumors in baseball- Carter,,Quis,Howser,Oates,Mcgraw,Vuke- sad . I pray he does well.

3. heyblueyoustink - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Sad news, first McGraw and now the captain of Macho Row.

Hoping for a speedy recovery Dutch! Thougts and prayers!

4. rbj1 - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Best of luck to him.

5. Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

All relict Feesh fans can recall how Daulton was the sadly unremarked sparkplug whose hard-nosed play helped galvanize the team into the ’97 playoffs and to the World Championship. At the time, there wasn’t much noise about his eccentricities, but plenty about his enthusiasm and take-no-prisoners style of play. When the Feesh acquired him, there was a ho-hum response – until he got out on the field and helped to inspire his teammates. I remember it so well.

Hang in there, Darren. All the best to you.

6. mazblast - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Yes, he’s a nut, always has been one. However, he was never a malicious one. And he has never been described as “dull”.

I wish him a full recovery and good health from here on out. We need more good-but-strange people in the world!

7. skane2005 - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Wildly inappropriate article to put out. You could have simply said he was a hard nosed player that helped 2 teams make it to the world series and he was an interesting character. Your sarcastic article basically mocked a guy who just got a possible death sentence…real nice.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM

You’re a complete jackass with a streak of sanctimony as wide as a sewer leak.

• drunkenhooliganism - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM

It’s part of who he is and why he was so interesting. I’m a huge Daulton fan, and that’s just who he is. You wouldn’t write about Dale Murphy without mentioning his family and his devout Mormonism, it helps define him just like Daulton’s beliefs help define him.

I guess he could’ve mentioned something about him being a catcher who led the league in RBI’s in 92 or 93 as something about his game too.

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Craig wrote about what makes this man unique in an illustrative, almost affectionate way. As someone whose family has been personally affected by brain cancer–and yes, you are right, it is likely a death sentence–I would not take offense in having a loved one described like this. When we lose our sense of humor, the cancer wins. Cancer is our body’s internal terrorist.

My thoughts and best wishes are with Daulton. He and his loved ones are about to enter a scary world, one I would wish on no one.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Skane, I’m a Phil’s fan who’s here all the time. The writer is being sincere, the jerk here, is you.

I don’t know if it’s immaturity, insecurity, or what. But whatever it is, get it out of your system.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I think Occam’s Razor tells us it’s mere stupidity, actually.

8. stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM

This stinks. I was just wondering about him a couple of days ago as I hadn’t heard what he was doing since he called it quits. Always liked him as a player. Get well Darren.

9. titansbro - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I didn’t take that as mocking at all.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM

It wasn’t. Apparently, another refugee from Yahoo blogs.

• skane2005 - Jun 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I have no idea who you are or what you are referring to. I’ve never commented on this site in my life as far as I know, and def not on Yahoo.

If you know anything about Dutch though, he has changed his ways in the past few years. He doesn’t talk about any of that “crazy” stuff anymore and he certainly wouldn’t want to be remembered by it. So why is it the only thing mentioned here? Dale Murphy is a mormon? Didnt know that and wouldnt remember him for it.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Maybe many of us don’t think it’s so crazy… but apparently you do. Not to pile on, but it seems like you’re projecting your own lack of respect for the man upon those of us who happen to appreciate the eccentrics of modern man.

Two brain tumors means that Daulton’s mind had been working on him overtime for so long…. There is a lot of brilliance in that. Stop blaming folks for being so weird and goofy and maybe you will be happier.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Read some of the posts on any of the Yahoo blogs and you’ll figure out what I was referring to. Hint: it’s not a compliment.

10. banger60 - Jun 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM

to many comments on other peoples comments, he’s in a fight for his life, get well soon Dutch.

11. largebill - Jun 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Sorry to hear he’s ill. Best wishes for a full recovery.

Oddly, I thought he had passed away a few years ago. Wonder who I was thinking of?

12. illadelphiasphinest - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Update: It is reported that Dutch is in intensive care at Jefferson hospital, and one of the tumors is inoperable.

Sad….

• losangelesfan - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Shit. That’s awful.

13. losangelesfan - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I wonder if he got the diagnosis at 11:11

14. leerosenthall - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

This is very sad news. I’ll confess, as someone who listens to Daulton’s show on 97.5 regularly, I’d been wondering if something was wrong with him. He’s always been prone to malapropisms, but of late he was sometimes bordering on unintelligible. Coincidence perhaps, but doubtful.

The neurosurgeons at Jeff are top-notch–they saved the life of a close family member of mine last year, so let’s put out some positive energy for Dutch–whether it’s prayer or good thoughts, I’m sure he’d appreciate folks not losing hope.

Get well soon, Dutch!

15. xmatt0926x - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I’m sorry. I hate “thumbs up/ thumbs down” watchers butI have to say this. Who the hell is thumbing down good wishes to a guy who has two brain tumors, one of which is likely to end his life? Some of you people are just some sick motherfuckers.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM

People with nothing better to do with their sad lives.

16. schmedley69 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Very sad news.

It seems like an abnormal number of baseball players have been diagnosed with brain cancer over the years. I’ve always wondered if AstroTurf had anything to do with it. Just a theory.

• dankil13 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Yes and 3 who spent a lot of time at the old “Vet” in Philly… Tug McGraw, John Vukavich, and now Dutch. Hard to believe this is a shear coincidence!

• ccs1984 - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM

As much as I love a good conspiracy theory, I should throw out there that the area along the Delaware River in Philly and Delaware County has an absurdly high cancer rate as it is.

• zemongoose - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Tugger and Vuk–two true Phillies gone way too soon. Hope Dutch defies the odds and can make a fully recovery.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3049)