Jun 27, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Holland, who had given up four earned runs in each of his past three starts was doing no such thing today. He handcuffed the Yankees, allowing only two hits while walking two and striking out seven as he shut out the Bombers on a mere 92 pitches. ThIchiro Suzuki led Yankees first off with a single. Austin Romine singled in the third. And that was it. The Rangers won 2-0 on a Jurickson Profar homer and an Ian Kinsler sac fly.
So, what started as an awful visit to the tri-state area for Holland turned into something quite nice.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)