Giants coach Tim Flannery: the Dodgers “failed in the humanity department”

Jun 27, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT

Casey Johnstone

On Tuesday the Dodgers had ten year-old Casey Johnstone throw out the first pitch of the Dodgers-Giants game. Johnstone is notable for a viral YouTube video in which he told his fifth grade graduating class about how he’s a Dodgers fan even though the rest of them were Giants fans.  OK so far.

The not OK part, according to Giants coach Tim Flannery, is that the Dodgers did not mention the fact, when they introduced him, that Johnstone donated all of the money he got from the video to the Bryan Stow family to help pay for his recovery. Flannery’s comments from his Facebook page:

Tonight the Dodgers did something that really pissed me off…yeah they beat us, they are better this time around, but this is about other stuff..they honored Casey Johnstone the kid who made a video and gave his $200 bucks to Bryan Stow…but the Dodgers never ever mentioned What the kid did with his money, or Bryan’s name. I once had a Dodger broadcaster tell me ” we wish he would just go away”…..ok…more shows for Bryan…another way to shine the light, and to the Dodgers how you handled this pregame first pitch tonight….you just got me started all over again……we won’t go away, till you do what is right here..had your chance tonight……failed in the humanity department….

Flannery has been out front in raising money for Stow, playing charity gigs with his band and stuff.

I agree that the Dodgers could have mentioned this, but I also understand how lawyers and corporate thinkers work: the Stow family has a pending lawsuit against the Dodgers for Stow’s injuries. Someone, somewhere probably made the calculation that the Dodgers can’t be seen at all talking about Stow lest it somehow be used by the plaintiffs. And in my experience, no matter how innocuous a comment is, an able lawyer can twist things to make it sound sinister and work against the defendant.

Not saying that the Dodgers did the right thing here. Not saying that the Stows’ lawyers would act underhanded or anything. Just saying that lawsuits suck and make people behave in ways that are somewhat less than naturally human. Which is to say that the hate should be directed at the game more than the players in this case.

1. specialkindofstupid - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Good for the kid.

• abjr30 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM

That’s why this society is where it is. To sue a team for your idiotic behavior at a game???? That’s stupid. I don’t think That Giants fan was an innocent bystander. He had to of acted or said something to provoke. Don’t get me wrong I feel bad for him and what he is going through but F@#k!!!! Really????? lets try and get rich and sue a team for my stupidity. That I don’t have respect for!!!!!!!

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I’m not sure what your comment has to do with my comment. Is it because my comment was at the top, and responding to it would put your comment near the top for people to read?

If so, congrats. Your plan worked. But two quick thoughts:

1) Do you have any evidence whatsoever that Brian Stow did anything that would warrant what happened to him? Because your whole argument hinges on the concept Stow had it comin’.

2) Reread my first thought.

• clemente2 - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Only idiots believe someone ‘had it comin’ for something they said. And it takes a belligerant idiot to make such an assertion on no facts.

Violence is never OK.

• davidpom50 - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM

abjr30, the reason that Stow is suing the Dodgers is that under Frank McCourt, the team drastically cut back on security measures. They fired the head of security and never hired someone new. They slashed the number of ushers, uniformed security, and on-duty police at games. They got rid of some of the parking lot lighting. They failed to respond to fan complaints. I am a Dodger fan, and attend upwards of 20 games per year. In the years leading up to the Stow attack, the atmosphere at the park steadily declined, and the small number of thugs present became more brazen, louder, drunker, and more confrontational.

2. waiverclaim - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Another major humanity flaw, Barry Bonds is paying for Stow’s kid’s education – all of it. Yet, hateful internet commenters say disgusting things like “oh he doesnt care, its just a PR stunt”.

Do steroids, you are basically a rapist/pedophile/totally unable to redeem yourself. America is the land of second chances, yet Bonds gets none.

• 161andriver - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Oh wow, I didn’t know that about Barry. That’s a hell of a classy move.

• jm91rs - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I didn’t know that either. I wish things like this were reported as often as stories about what an ass he was to the media. This slightly changes my opinion of Bonds.

• yahmule - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Looks to me like it was reported pretty widely.

• clemente2 - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM

He has and continues to do stuff like this in the Bay Area; his disdain for the media extends to getting good media attention, too.

• yahmule - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Why don’t you cry about it, pussy?

• danrizzle - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM

It’s very sad how much hate you decided to cram into that short comment.

• jm91rs - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Sounds like you might be the one crying here.

• yahmule - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I’m sorry, it was a serious question. This poster sounds like he’s on the verge of bursting into tears in every post, so I was letting him know he should just let it all out.

Waiverclaim, it’s great that Barry is doing this for Brian Stow’s kids. Most people are taking the gesture at face value. I’m glad it fucks you up inside when people troll you about it.

Barry Bonds doesn’t give a shit about what people say about him and he doesn’t give a shit about you. You ran around this board yesterday doing nothing but showing your ass and calling people racists. Go fuck yourself.

• historiophiliac - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Hey, what’s wrong with — sigh

• yahmule - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I know and nothing as far as I’m concerned.

• waiverclaim - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

lol, everyone hates yahmule

go back to youtube comment threads where you belong, racist

• yahmule - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Go back to labeling everyone who disagrees with you a racist. Far preferable to the pitiful sniveling.

Better yet, spend another whole day trying to convince people Barry Bonds is a great guy. The endorsement of a gaping asshole like yourself is just what Barry needs to win the hearts and minds of baseball fans and Hall of Fame voters.

• waiverclaim - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Come on man, I’m either a pussy or a gaping asshole, you can’t be both.

• waiverclaim - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM

yahmule just face it, you hate Bonds SO much because he’s black. You love Ruth because he was white.

I bet you are white too, and the fact a black man made a mistake makes you think that you can just open up your deep-rooted feelings of racial hatred toward him and everyone will be cool with it…youre wrong. Bonds was the greatest player of all-time and has done so much for so many, including the Stow family. Youre a faceless internet commenter who probably has never seen a naked girl in person who hates people so violently you really should visit a psychologist.

• waiverclaim - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Its so fun taking out racist cowards on the internet when youre on break at work and its too hot outside, lol

• waiverclaim - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM

also: “showing my ass”???

no way yahmule is over 15 years old

• yahmule - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Good thing you mentioned you’re getting up to all this nonsense at work. Way to cleverly note that you’re carrying out your good will mission while on break. That should throw those dopes from IT off the trail. If they do call you in to reprimand you for playing on the internet instead of performing the menial tasks that were assigned to you, just remember that Barry Bonds totally appreciates your efforts.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM

You can’t be a …waiverclaim, did you flunk anatomy as well as spelling, grammar and logic?

• baseballer28 - Jun 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM

waiverclaim is just an asshole hipster fuck that think he know it all…how many fucking shut-outs did barry toss? ruth has as many career shutouts as perdo who pitched for 18 yrs in the bigs. could barry get up on the rubber and get people out? I didn’t catch it if he did. I must have miss it.

P.S.- It took bonds almost 4 more years worth of AB’s to pass ruth and we all know that dude was jacked up on the juice the second half of his career.

• lolipop524 - Jun 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Poor Barry, oh please get over it.

• perlaezra6 - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM

If you think Barbara`s story is impressive…, a month-ago my brother’s mom in law got $8277 sitting there a fourteen hour week from home and there buddy’s mother-in-law`s neighbour has been doing this for three months and brought home over $8277 parttime at There laptop. applie the guide on this site, Go to site and open Home for details
      dailyfinance.com

3. tablescrappy - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

The Dodgers did say thank you to Johnstone for donating his money. They just said it privately rather than over the PA system.

4. deathmonkey41 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

“Which is to say that the hate should be directed at the game more than the players in this case.”

Or the lawyers…

5. hcf95688 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Tim Flannery should worry about Tim Flannery.

• flamethrower101 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Tim Flannery should worry about his team getting swept by the NL West cellar dwellers.

6. deadeyedesign23 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Who cares if they didn’t mention it? That’s clearly why they asked him to throw out the first pitch so they obviously thought it was very admirable.

7. daveitsgood - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Or perhaps direct the vitriol towards the Insurance company that is denying Stow’s claims and no longer paying out for the help he still needs?

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Directing vitriol at insurance companies is about as effective as throwing a Tampax in the ocean.

• daveitsgood - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM

What type of Tampx? The one with pearls or the super max? These factors need to be taken into account to determine the effectiveness.

• daveitsgood - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM

What type of Tampax? The one with pearls or the super max? These factors need to be taken into account to determine the effectiveness.

8. 13arod - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

we need more people like this

9. historiophiliac - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Man, that was confusing…

10. kingscourt25 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

lol, this guy ran to Facebook to air his grievances?

11. koufaxmitzvah - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I love how classy Tim Flannery is. Runs to Facebook, attributes some nonsense to an unnamed individual, but lambasts the Dodgers as a whole for “failing in the humanity department.”

Not as much as you, Tim.

• skids003 - Jun 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I hope you don’t have a heart attack, Koufax, bit I agree with you.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM

That you really hope I don’t have a heart attack is the nicest thing you’ve ever had to say to me. Thanks, Skids. I hope your organs don’t fail you, too.

See that Tim? This is how two folks get along.

• skids003 - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I hope you read this koufaxmitzvah, but being the day after you may miss it. Even though we obviously don’t see eye to eye on a lot of things, I wouldn’t wish you ill. I guess we have two things in common, baseball and (I know you may find it hard to believe) wishing our fellow man no ill will. I guess we just have to agree to disagree on some things.

Again, I hope the shock of this doesn’t cause you to have a heart attack.

12. lolipop524 - Jun 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Funny how a Dodger fan in San Francisco gets bottles thrown at him and it is the Dodgers fan’s fault. What happened to Brian Stow was terrible but LA, Dodgers and all the other Dodger fans besides the idiots that are in jail for the crime have nothing to do with it.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3770)