Jake Peavy doesn’t want the White Sox to trade him

Jun 27, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

jake peavy injured getty Getty Images

Jake Peavy is just starting to throw again as he comes back from a fractured rib, so it’s a moot point for now, but the White Sox right-hander made it very clear yesterday that he doesn’t want to be traded.

Chicago is in last place at 32-43, so the White Sox shopping various veterans would make sense if things don’t turn around in a hurry, but here’s what Peavy told Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago:

I’ll just tell you that I don’t want that to happen, that I want to pitch here in Chicago and I want games I pitch in to be meaningful and for us to get back in the thick of things. Do I think that can happen? Absolutely. But we have to shore things up, take it day by day and win. I do understand the possibility of being moved if I am healthy or I’m not healthy. And that’s something that I leave up to the hands of Rick Hahn and his staff and I will do all I’m asked really.

If he can show that he’s healthy by the July 31 deadline Peavy would look awfully nice in a lot of contending rotations, but his being signed for next season at $14.5 million also complicates things. Peavy got off to a fantastic start, throwing 61 innings with a 2.97 ERA and 63/15 K/BB ratio through late May, but then he turned in back-to-back rough outings and suffered the rib injury. He’s due back shortly after the All-Star break.

1. specialkindofstupid - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I remember when the Braves kept trying to trade for Peavy several years back. We eventually settled on signing Derek Lowe and Kenshin Kawakami as free agents.

And then much sadness happened.

• neoshweaty - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM

When was that? Ultimately might have been for the best considering his history of injuries.

Then again, any pain inflicted on the Braves (mets fan here) is good in my book. ;)

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM

When? Gosh, late 2008, I believe.

And get this: The package we were believed to be offering, the package that was (allegedly) better than anything else the Padres were receiving for Peavy was shortstop Yunel Escobar, center field Gorkys Hernandez, and a pitcher (allegedly JoJo Reyes).

Injury ridden or not, that kind of lame package (though it was deemed an outstanding package at the time) for Peavy, especially if it meant GM Frank Wren wouldn’t go on to sign Derek Lowe and Kenshin Kawakami later that offseason, would have been music to any Braves fan’s ears.

Hindsight being 20/20, of course.

2. 13arod - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM

well he is going to get traded if he likes it or not

• tanzkommandant - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM

*whether

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3215)