Jun 27, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Manny Machado broke up Scott Kazmir’s no-hitter last night by smacking his 36th double of the season. Not only does that lead MLB by a wide margin–no one else has more than 26–it puts the 20-year-old third baseman on pace to break the all-time record.
Earl Webb is the record-holder with 67 doubles in 1931 and Machado is currently on pace for 74 doubles. Looking at things another way, Baltimore has played 79 games and here’s the all-time doubles leaderboard through 79 team games:
Edgar Martinez 1996 39 Earl Webb 1931 38 Paul Waner 1932 37 MANNY MACHADO 2013 36 George Burns 1926 36
Edgar Martinez and three guys from the 1920s and 1930s is pretty good company. Machado is two doubles behind where Webb was in 1931 and it’s worth noting that teams only played 154 games per season back then.
And just to show how incredible what he’s doing is at Machado’s age, here’s the all-time doubles leaderboard through 79 team games for 20-year-olds:
MANNY MACHADO 2013 36 Ted Williams 1939 27 Alex Rodriguez 1996 25 Vada Pinson 1959 22 Mel Ott 1929 22
Manny Machado is bogarting all the doubles.
(All of these numbers come courtesy of Baseball-Reference.com’s indispensable Play Index, which is the single most valuable research tool in baseball.)
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)