Jun 27, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
California high school left-hander Matt Krook was drafted by the Marlins with the 35th overall pick and the two sides agreed to a deal for around the slot recommended bonus of $1.6 million, but Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel reports that Krook failed his physical exam and Miami withdrew the offer.
Shortly after being drafted Krook made it very clear that he wanted to sign, telling the Miami Herald:
I love Oregon, love the coaches up there, but I think at this point I’m ready to play pro ball. I just want to get my career started. Both me and [advisor Matt Sosnick] knew what it would take to decide and it fell in the range.
Instead now he’ll go to Oregon and hope similar money is waiting for him in a few years. And the Marlins presumably will get a compensatory pick in next year’s draft for failing to sign him.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 7
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)