Marlins withdraw million-dollar offer after draft pick fails physical

Jun 27, 2013, 2:44 PM EST

mlb draft board 2013

California high school left-hander Matt Krook was drafted by the Marlins with the 35th overall pick and the two sides agreed to a deal for around the slot recommended bonus of $1.6 million, but Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel reports that Krook failed his physical exam and Miami withdrew the offer.

Shortly after being drafted Krook made it very clear that he wanted to sign, telling the Miami Herald:

I love Oregon, love the coaches up there, but I think at this point I’m ready to play pro ball. I just want to get my career started. Both me and [advisor Matt Sosnick] knew what it would take to decide and it fell in the range.

Instead now he’ll go to Oregon and hope similar money is waiting for him in a few years. And the Marlins presumably will get a compensatory pick in next year’s draft for failing to sign him.

1. gothapotamus90210 - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I bet Oregon is jumping for joy that they gave a scholarship to a guy who seemingly needs major elbow or shoulder surgery.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Now this may come as a great shock to you but scholarships are ultimately maintained by grade point average, not by the number of strikeouts or ERA a college kid puts up.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM

“scholarships are ultimately maintained by grade point average.”

Point taken Gatore. However, I would counter this with…
        It depends on what college and/or university we are discussing.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Do you mean to insinuate, sir, that the University of Macondo, with its spotless record of scholarship and booster management might be motivated by….other…considerations?

Fie!

• notsofast10 - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Sorry Old Gator but that is very much NOT true! Your sense of what college baseball should be concerned about is very noble… but I know by experience that a kid can be killing it academically and about ready to graduate but did not pan out on the field as planned and the scholly is pulled!

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Really – and what “experience” was that? Mine is that I taught scholarship students at a major university for twenty five years and never saw a kid lose a scholarship for “not panning out” on the field. For getting nailed with drugs, yes. For violation of school policy, yes. For switching majors – ie, leaving the athletic program as a major or cutting back his athletic time to concentrate on academics, yes. For doing so poorly academically that he or she was disqualified from participation in the sport for which their scholarship was awarded, yes. For playing poorly or for being injured? Nope.

Aside from which, so-called “state” scholarships made up a pretty small percentage of them. There were university scholarships derived from foundation grants, endowments, donations and so forth and a variety of state, federal and private support. The idiotic post about “the people of Oregon” is so utterly moronic and disconnected from reality – not to mention selfish and sententious – that I had to point out to the asshole, who didn’t even know what the problem was, that that ain’t how it works. Nor should it ever be.The great NCAA scam has already made universities lapdogs to its own big money universe as it is, in the process helping to fuel an inflationary spiral in educational costs that has, as its horrific byproduct, the current student debt apocalypse – aside from drawing attention away from the proper educational mission of universities in the first place.

Frankly, I’d love to see the NCAA scrapped altogether and left the NFL and NBA go set up a minor league system instead of milking and lording it over colleges and universities. I’d be more than happy to see big money athletics out of the educational system altogether.

• 4d3fect - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:19 AM

OG @ 7:19—hear, hear.

• notsofast10 - Jun 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Old Gator I really respect your experience, but, that is not how it works at a Major D1 Program as of right now. This is not the forum to share the details right now as it is currently hot right now!

2. Caught Looking - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM

The physical must have shown he had a brain and thus the Marlins chose to not sign him.

• gothapotamus90210 - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM

This.

3. sandpiperair - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:08 PM

The real krook is Loria.

4. flamethrower101 - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I don’t know what’s more shocking. The fact that the Marlins made an offer at all or the fact that this kid wanted to sign with them at all.

5. mazblast - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Some physicals are designed to find out if the player is physically right. Others are cover for management’s decision whether to keep a guy around or make excuses for dumping him.

Considering the organization and the owner, guess which one I think this was.

6. Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I’d like to wait and find out what exactly the problem was before condemning Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua.

Or…well…better yet, let’s condemn Scrooge and the Chihuahua and then wait and find out what the problem was.

7. specialkindofstupid - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Rumor has it the Marlins’ physical consisted of holding up a photo of Jeff Loria and asking, “Is this a handsome man?”

When Matt Krook responded with “Sure…I guess…why are you asking me this?”, the Marlins failed him due to crippling blindness.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I think it was more like, “you’re walking down the street and you see a man keel over with a heart attack, dropping his wallet, which is stuffed with hundred dollar bills, on the pavement. What do you do?” The kid replied, “call 911.”

• mazblast - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM

If he says, “Call 911, then take the hundred dollar bills before the EMTs arrive,” he’s smart.

8. andreweac - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Marlins new policy is to cap pay at $1.5 million.

9. schlom - Jun 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Keith Law tweeted that Krook did not fail his physical:

10. scotttheskeptic - Jun 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Why would a compensatory draft pick be in order? The Marlins withdrew what was apparently a tentatively agreed offer.

• schlom - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

That doesn’t matter. Teams always get a compensation pick for failing to sign a first through third round pick.

11. ndnut - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Grades do matter a little bit. My dad played baseball with the best pitcher in the state of Minnesota. The kid had a full ride scholarship to the University of Minnesota. However, his ACT came back with a 10, and the scholarship was revoked. The guy ended up making it to either Double or Triple A (stories vary) before he threw out his arm and was never the same. He still plays Town Ball in his hometown. Granted, this story is from the mid-80’s, but academics do matter to some extent.

• Old Gator - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM

They matter more than a little bit. I’ve never yet seen a scholarship that didn’t specify that its recipient had to maintain at least a 2.5 or the equivalent of a C. Minimally, falling below that for one semester meant suspension. A second time, revocation. I spent plenty of hours with student athletes helping them stay above water academically, and for some of them that was pretty difficult – not because they were stupid, but because so many of them had, literally, been cautioned not to think too much once they were identified as having athletic potential – some as early as junior high school. It was a rough habit to break.

in the case of my university, I must say that not once was I ever pressured into passing a student who didn’t deserve to pass, nor were any of my colleagues so pressured. I was asked by the athletics director on numerous occasions how best to help a student who was floundering academically, but that’s a very different thing. Unfortunately, colleagues from other universities have told me a different story. They should have turned their programs in to their administrations but they were usually afraid that they’d get in more trouble than the athletics program people. And in some cases, I suspect they were right.

12. leerosenthall - Jun 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Wait, is he injured or not? What causes somebody to “fail his physical” aside from injury, drugs?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester