Jun 27, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
One day after designating John McDonald for assignment the Indians have traded the 38-year-old utility man to the Phillies for a player to be named later or cash, according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
McDonald has now been traded three times since spring training, yet has logged a grand total of 43 plate appearances all season. He’ll fill a bench role in Philadelphia and figures to wind up with 150-250 plate appearances for the sixth straight season if he can stick around for a while.
Normally this is where I’d make a joke about how the Phillies needed another old guy who can’t hit, but I’m too classy for that.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 51
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24