Jun 27, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
One day after designating John McDonald for assignment the Indians have traded the 38-year-old utility man to the Phillies for a player to be named later or cash, according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
McDonald has now been traded three times since spring training, yet has logged a grand total of 43 plate appearances all season. He’ll fill a bench role in Philadelphia and figures to wind up with 150-250 plate appearances for the sixth straight season if he can stick around for a while.
Normally this is where I’d make a joke about how the Phillies needed another old guy who can’t hit, but I’m too classy for that.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 0
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 174
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (174)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)