Jun 27, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
One day after designating John McDonald for assignment the Indians have traded the 38-year-old utility man to the Phillies for a player to be named later or cash, according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
McDonald has now been traded three times since spring training, yet has logged a grand total of 43 plate appearances all season. He’ll fill a bench role in Philadelphia and figures to wind up with 150-250 plate appearances for the sixth straight season if he can stick around for a while.
Normally this is where I’d make a joke about how the Phillies needed another old guy who can’t hit, but I’m too classy for that.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 58
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)