Jun 27, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
One day after designating John McDonald for assignment the Indians have traded the 38-year-old utility man to the Phillies for a player to be named later or cash, according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
McDonald has now been traded three times since spring training, yet has logged a grand total of 43 plate appearances all season. He’ll fill a bench role in Philadelphia and figures to wind up with 150-250 plate appearances for the sixth straight season if he can stick around for a while.
Normally this is where I’d make a joke about how the Phillies needed another old guy who can’t hit, but I’m too classy for that.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)