Jun 27, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
One day after designating John McDonald for assignment the Indians have traded the 38-year-old utility man to the Phillies for a player to be named later or cash, according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
McDonald has now been traded three times since spring training, yet has logged a grand total of 43 plate appearances all season. He’ll fill a bench role in Philadelphia and figures to wind up with 150-250 plate appearances for the sixth straight season if he can stick around for a while.
Normally this is where I’d make a joke about how the Phillies needed another old guy who can’t hit, but I’m too classy for that.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 72
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)