Jun 27, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Meadows, a high school center fielder out of Georgia, was selected No. 9 overall in this month’s First-Year Player Draft. Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that he’ll receive a $3,029,600 bonus, which matches the recommended slot value for the pick.
Here’s the write-up on Meadows from our own Matthew Pouliot:
Meadows was projected to go as high as fifth and most didn’t see him lasting past the Red Sox with the seventh pick. He probably won’t last in center, and that’s especially a given with Andrew McCutchen now ahead of him. But he should prove to be quite an asset defensively in right field, and he possesses big-time power potential. He’s a high risk kind of guy, but he’s also one with the ability to end up as the best player from this year’s draft.
The Pirates failed to sign right-hander Mark Appel after selecting him eighth last year, so they received the No. 9 pick this year as compensation. They signed their other first-round pick, high school catcher Reese McGuire, to a $2.56 million bonus last week after selecting him at No. 14 overall.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)