Post, Daily News report on an A-Rod plot to “retire” to avoid Biogenesis discipline

Jun 27, 2013, 8:54 AM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP

This feels like a game of telephone. Or a half-baked plot being floated. Whatever you want to call it, it seems off for a couple of reasons. The upshot:

• The New York Daily News has a report that A-Rod is rushing to get back to rehab games so that, once he plays in game action, he can claim that he’s physically unable to perform, take an Albert Belle-style medical “retirement” (i.e. go on the DL for the rest of his career) and thereby, they say, avoid discipline in the Biogenesis thing; and
  • The New York Post, with a somewhat contradictory spin, says that rather than rush back to rehab games, A-Rod is telling the Yankees that he’s not ready to come back, but the endgame is still the same: go on the 60-day DL for the next few years, getting a defacto retirement, and thereby collect money and avoid Biogenesis discipline.

There is one major thing wrong with this: drug suspensions don’t work that way.

Whether A-Rod is playing or not, he cannot avoid Biogenesis discipline if it comes down by going on the DL. Yes, a player on the disabled list can technically “serve” his suspension in games he would have missed anyway — remember when Freddy Galvis did this? — but he’s still getting his pay docked. Thus the endgame described in both stories — A-Rod somehow evading Biogenesis discipline to “collect his fat salary,” as the Daily News headline puts it — makes zero sense. Whether he’s playing or disabled, he will lose 50 games pay for a 50 game suspension, 100 games pay for a 100 game suspension and his lifetime pay for a lifetime suspension. The disabled list gambit saves him nothing.

So what’s the point of this? Well, this is curious. From the Daily News:

The Yankees, who are currently paying Rodriguez’s $28 million 2013 salary, could conceivably then try to collect insurance on the remainder of the contract, as the Orioles did with Belle.

From the Post:

Should Rodriguez retire because of a medical problem, he would avoid a possible suspension by MLB in the Biogenesis mess. The Yankees would also be able to collect 80 percent of the $114 million from insurance.

Oh, so the Yankees would benefit* from this scenario, even if A-Rod wouldn’t? And what else? This is the same scenario that was floated over and over again back in January by Yankees front office officials, with multiple members of the media playing along, all while A-Rod and those close to him continued to talk up his eagerness to get his rehab going?

This sounds like more wishcasting from the Yankees front office. A day after A-Rod pisses all of them off with his tweets, we once again see the “maybe A-Rod will just go away and never play again so we can collect insurance money” story. In a scenario that does absolutely zero to benefit Alex Rodriguez but would solve the Yankees’ PR and financial problems. Amazing that.

*Worth noting that the people who like the whole “the Yankees can just collect the insurance money!” idea have clearly never dealt with insurance companies before.

1. sdelmonte - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM

The Daily News, on the same day it has the Aaron Hernandez case as the Page One story, calls this “A-Rod’s Evil Plan.” A man sits accused of premeditated murder, and they call A-Rod’s scheme evil.

This is why I do my best to ignore the tabloids. (Only saw it because I was in a barber shop on the way to work.)

• Alex K - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM

You get your hair cut before work? I didn’t know barber shops were open this early*.

*Important note…I have cut my own hair for years.

• sdelmonte - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I didn’t actually get a haircut. But there are a fair number of barbershops near subways stations that open really early. And that also offer watch repair (which is why I was there) and shoeshines and umbrellas. A New Yorker can get a lot accomplished on the way to work.

• Old Gator - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM

There is nothing – nothing – as soothing and reinvigorating as a well done barber shop shave. Hot towels. Face massage. Hot lather applied with a horsehair brush. The lulling rhythm of a straight razor being stropped. Another facial massage with a fragrant vegetal aftershave. Keep your hot oil massages by scantily clad babes who really have no idea about what they’re doing until rendered horizontal. Give me a barber shop shave every time.

• number42is1 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Gator – The little bit of orthodoxy i have left in my still will not use a straight razor on my face.. but i have heard that it is AMAZING if done right.

• Alex K - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I see. When I lived and worked in NY it was just on Lon Gisland, so I was driving and had no clue about the barber shops.

Gator- I have had one hot shave and it gave me the absolute worst razor burn you can imagine. It probably just wasn’t done very well, but that experience turned me off of them.

• historiophiliac - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM

My grandfather was a barber and the first time he used a safety razor was when he was in the hospital right before he died.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I am with Gator on the shave. I get the back of my neck shaved with warm shaving cream and a straight razor. My Barber (a Women) has been cutting my hair for 20+ years.
        I am finicky (real finicky) about it. If she goes on vacation I simply don’t get it cut anywhere else. I don’t care how long she is gone. I suggest you give the warm shave another try Alex. My guess is…your Barber was just very bad at it. Cause’ I fall asleep when she is shaving me. Did I mention she uses a straight razor?

• Alex K - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Eh. I might. Not really looking to since my first experience wasn’t great and it would have to be a special trip since I buzz my own hair. Plus, I wear a beard so it’s not even a big area that needs shaved.

• chacochicken - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM

We know Aaron Hernandez allegedly only killed one person. On the other hand, there have been more than a thousand missing persons in NYC alone since Arod arrived. Coincidence?

• number42is1 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM

You just don’t know when to keep your mouth shut, do you sax?

• kopy - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

A well-placed Simpsons reference is the best part of any comment thread.

• perlaezra6 - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM

upto I looked at the paycheck for $7003, I have faith …that…my friend was like actualey taking home money in there spare time at there computar.. there uncles cousin has been doing this for only about fourteen months and resantly cleard the morgage on there villa and bourt a gorgeous audi. I went here, Go to site and open Home for details
        hitfix.com

• southpaw2k - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Funny that you refer to the NY Daily News and the Post as tabloids instead of newspapers. I actually agree with that assessment.

Does anyone still take the Daily News or the Post seriously anymore?

• aceshigh11 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM

OH, you’d be surprised.

My Dad lives in Upstate NY and still reads the Post regularly. It’s very popular with conservatives.

• dondada10 - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I wouldn’t line my birdcage with either.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:23 AM

There is absolutely no way I could get a haircut and go to work.
      Way too itchy. So much so it isn’t even an option.
      I get my haircut and have to take a shower…like immediately.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Same here…after a haircut, I’m a mess. I don’t understand how some guys get a cut and then just go about their day.

• kopy - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

This is why I always turn down the offer of free product.

“Would you like some Pomade/Paste/etc. in your hair?”

“No, I’m just going to go work out after this.”

Which is a lie. I guess I just simultaneously try to impress her while thinking I’m sparing her feelings by not saying I’m going to shower.

My barber shop isn’t open that early, but they have complimentary beer and games of pool…

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Complimentary beer? And games of pool?
        You suck Kopy. And I mean that with love.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Being almost bald solves that issue. I recommend it for y’all!

• abaird2012 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Where do you live where the barber shops open before 9:00 AM?

• sdelmonte - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM

NYC, the city that never sleeps. And gets haircuts on the way to work.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM

most people don’t know how nice we have it in nyc, by the time you get to
      the subway you got your coffee, make a stop at the 99 cent store drop off
      your laundry or dry cleaning.
      nice……………….
      and I’m in Brooklyn, I bet sdelmonte is in another boro and it’s ALL the same.

• perlaezra6 - Jun 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

my best friend’s step-mother makes $62/hour on the computer. She has been unemployed for eight months but last month her pay was $17470 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site Go to site and open Home for details
        globalpost.com

2. luz56 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM

After leaving Calgary Cannons… Seattle Mariners you really turned into a piece if work… I guess we really never knew ya!

• fanofevilempire - Jun 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM

really?

3. chacochicken - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Well, I’m willing to testify (for an appropriate amount of money) that I helped gather children and took them to Arod. I personally witnessed him consume them in a magic ritual, specifically targeting their hypothalamus to use as a PED and anti-aging drug. History’s greatest monster has to be stopped.

• stex52 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM

The way the A-Rod hate is going, that appropriate amount of money for you could be rather large. It seems like Yankee fans would take up a collection.

• chacochicken - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Just to sweeten the pot; He has small bat-like wings that he grooms meticulously, his patron is the demon Beelzebub, and he makes the hookers call him Derek Jeter. I know that Jeter thing is pretty crazy.

• cur68 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Y’know, at this point you’d actually think Rodriguez HAS done something horrible like consume random children. In fact, the only sure thing in this mess is that sportswriters are going to print with insurance fraud schemes. Now THAT’S sensible.

• historiophiliac - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I bet I know what Cashman wants to say to all these writers.

• professormaddog31 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Does anyone really know if that portrait of A-Rod was a centaur…or a satyr?

• daviddmsvcp - Jun 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM

You have to give A-Rod credit. He knows how to endear himself to the fans.

4. proudlycanadian - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM

As Craig indicated, Insurance companies hate to pay out claims. They would fight any claim this size.

5. chill1184 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Got to love the MSM who cant simply research simple rules when it comes to these types of cases

6. stex52 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Craig’s last italicized comment really goes to the heart of the matter. How many people here really think that the insurance companies are going to roll over for a 90 MM$ payment? It’s the DH, guys. If A-Rod is not in fact confined to a wheel chair they won’t pay. If he can conceivably carry bats out to the hitters and sweep up around home plate they won’t pay. At best the Yankees would have to hope for a long court fight for the money.

Their best hope is that he can come back and still produce an OPS in the .750+ range. It’s not out of the question. But the whole retirement thing is highly unlikely to fly. And they certainly would never pay for any time he is on suspension.

7. amaninwhite - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I think what happens is that if you write about something often and earnestly enough, it automatically comes true. Or so I read somewhere.

• ditto65 - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:57 AM

You read that on the internet. And we all know that everything on the internet is true.

• professormaddog31 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM

And we all know that everything on the internet is true.

It’s NOT? Damn. I had a date with a French model coming up, met him online…

8. therealbigben - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM

So is he worth picking up in my fantasy league to stash for July-September??

Let the thumbs down flowwwww

9. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Worth noting that the people who like the whole “the Yankees can just collect the insurance money!” idea have clearly never dealt with insurance companies before”

I served on a jury once in a case of a pesiticide manufacturer that was suing Aetna for failure to pay a claim. In a nutshell – pesticide mfg said they had an accidental spill, Aetna said they knew darn well the spill was happening, so it aint an accident. You CAN NOT BELIEVE the lengths Aetna went to to prove their point – even digging out memo’s from 1967.

Aetna won the case. And they should have – the pescticide company clearly did know (that 1967 memo was pretty damning)

• ezthinking - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM

… and you proved nothing.

Go read “Good Hands To Boxing Gloves” which is written from the internal documents of Allstate. Every insurance company now follows the model. Maybe watch “Hot Coffee” while your at it.

If your perspective hasn’t changed by then, it’s clear the billions of dollars the insurance industry spends on TV, radio, print, internet advertising, “news” stories, “studies” and lobbying Congress has worked.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Uhhhh…..what?

I was saying I personally saw an insurance company go to incredible lengths to not pay a claim. I wasn’t out to prove anything, I was realting a story.

As for the rest of your post – sounds liek you sar saying Insurance Companies are powerhouses only looking after the bottom line. Which….sort of is what I was saying.

None the less, in the one case I saw, it was very obvious to me – and the entire jury – that that perticide mfg indeed was aware they had a contamination situation on there hands, and did not do anythign to stop it. Ergo, it was not an accident, which is what they were insured against

• anxovies - Jun 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

As a retired lawyer I consider Allstate to be just short of a criminal organization. Their entire system of claims settlement is dedicated to fraud and misrepresentation. That is true to a varying extent of all liability insurance carriers. There is a reason why the federal anti-trust laws have an exemption for insurance companies.

10. 950003cups - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Insurance gets screwed paying out $91,200,000??
    That’s a spicy meatball!!!

11. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM

It’s sad, but know the whole Cashman blowing up makes a ton of sense if you want to assume the Yanks were going to commit insurance fraud. He’s basically eliminated any chance the Yanks had of stashing him on the DL because he publicly admitted he’s been cleared to play.

Also, this whole ordeal, Cashman+Arod+Daily News reads like the worst joke in history. I’m waiting for someone to jump out and scream, “The Aristocrats!”

12. 161andriver - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I’m glad the tabloids have at least stopped pretending to have any legitimacy. The slogan for the Post should be “The NY Post: We Say Stuff!”

• bigharold - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:27 PM

True but Madden, at one time, was the sane one over at the News. He was the rational voice of reason amidst the clatter. Now he’s just the skinniest kid at fat camp. It’s like he thinks he’s working for TMZ or that he believes he in competition with Lupica for “Biggest Jackwad” in New York sports print media.

And, if MLB has anything on A-Rod, .. which has yet to be proven, .. it’ll get him a 50 or maybe 100 game suspension. Technically it’s his first offense so why anyone keeps talking about lifetime ban is beyond me. Lifetime ban, is wishful thinking by the Yankee front office. A-Rods contract is guaranteed so the Yankees better hope, Biogenesis or not, that he comes back and contributes because they are paying all or most of the God awful contract that Hank Steinbrenner gave him.

Yankee fans that hate A-Rod, (which I’m not one of), direct your hostility where it belongs, .. Hank Steinbrenner.

13. 13arod - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM

the daily news always has something for arod i bet u somebody made this up

• bigharold - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM

This has Randy Levine written all over it. I’ve no way to prove it but this is the kind of story that gets planted. I don’t see Hal Steinbrenner doing it, .. at least not directly. Cashman is too smart to get in bed with the local media types on something this seedy. If it went bad it would be the end of him as the Yankee GM and since he is closer to the baseball side of the business he knows this is a very long shot.

Levine, .. maybe at Hal Steinbrenner’s behest, .. but it was planted by the Yankee FO to get A-Rod thinking that he can walk away and keep his money. I’m almost certain that is the furthest thing from his mind but why not float the idea?

14. themightyquinn1 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

And just think, had the Red Sox fought harder, that could have snagged this guy! Lousy break, eh?

• dan1111 - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Would the Sox have signed him to that horrendous contract extension? No way.

I think getting A-Rod in 2004 still looks good for the Sox in hindsight. He was hugely productive through the end of his original contract, and he would have been even more valuable in Boston, as he would have been playing shortstop.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Of course, because the Sox have never given out absurd contracts (Gonzalez, Crawford, Lackey, Beckett and Renteria just to name a few).

15. byjiminy - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM

If the Yankees were able to recoup $92 million of that moronic contract by shafting some insurance company, you know who would pay? Every single person paying insurance premiums to that company. No way should they be able to weasel out of their dumb-ass commitment and shaft the rest of us. That really would be evil empire stuff.

• number42is1 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM

But weasleing out of things is what separates us from the animals…

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM

It does not seperate us from the Weasels

• number42is1 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM

:-(

close but the line was “Except the weasel”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I’m utterly shocked at how many people don’t realize this. When someone tries to sue someone for tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, we are the ones who get screwed because premiums get jacked up to cover the losses. They are a business, and they want to make money.

• anxovies - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Oh stop. Do you seriously think that insurance companies base their premium rates on how much they pay in claims? The rates have nothing to do with claims, it is what the market will bear. For instance, if every person in the US consciously drove 200 less miles a year there would be statistically fewer accidents and fewer payouts for claims. Do you seriously think your premium would go down? No, the excess would go on the company’s bottom line.

• djpostl - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Lol. You are so clue free it fucking hurts.

16. 13arod - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM

bigharold I hope you know that MLB baseball said it will be 50 games not 100

17. mazblast - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Freddy Galvis was not the only one to serve a PED suspension while on the DL. Edinson Volquez did the same thing with the Reds while on the DL after Tommy John surgery. You know, the guy the Reds got when they hoodwinked the Rangers into taking that bum Josh Hamilton.

18. anxovies - Jun 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM

There are several things wrong with the story. First, there is no indication that ARod wants to quit baseball. Everybody says he has rehabbed hard in Florida and looks pretty good to return. Love him or hate him, nobody has ever said that he doesn’t lay it all out on the field. Anyone that has watched him run out ground balls knows that he competes all of the time. Second, if you have watched the Yankees play the last few weeks you can see that their need for a good right handed hitter is extreme. If he comes back for the second half of the season reasonably healthy he is entirely capable of hitting .260 – .290 with 10 – 15 HR and 40 RBI, and he plays a pretty good third base if you haven’t noticed.

19. mnfan2013 - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM

if A-ROD retires from baseball ……..guilty , guilty , guilty , guilty , !!!!!!!!!!!!!! how much money was wasted on PEDS???

20. djpostl - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I adore how the butthurt Braves fan (aw muffin, still mad you guys couldn’t even win one home game vs the Yankees spread out over two World Series?) keeps finding ways to turn this into some sort of PRISM-esque scandal by the Yankees.

It is absolutely inconceivable that this walking, talking middle school style soap opera in the form of Arod is kind of all of the place, desperately trying to milk every last dollar out of MLB before he slinks off into the sunset, huh?

The dude is a headcase. The dude is a fucking fraud on just about every level. There is absolutely no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt on anything.

So even if you think the Yankees (or any MLB team) can be trusted 1% of the time that still means..wait for it…waiiiit for it….they are more trustworthy than Afraud.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM

No, because there’s absolutely zero things anyone can do, outside of Arod, to prevent him from collecting on his money. How is this so difficult to understand? The Yanks won’t win a case against fraud for PEDs. The Yanks can’t get an insurance company to pay out 80% of the remainder of his contract. And they can’t cut him to prevent his receipt of payments a la the NFL. The Yanks have to pay him, period.

Even if he gets suspended 100 games, they still will owe him payments until 2017. This isn’t up for debate. So the rest of your screed is moot.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4706)