Wil Myers uses his off day to buy clothes, find an apartment

Jun 27, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT

Wil Myers Getty Getty Images

I always wonder about the logistics of a player getting called up mid-season. Where do they live? How do they get their crap delivered to them? How does all of that work.

Marc Topkin’s story about Wil Myers sheds a bit of light on it: you wait until your first off-day and then scramble. Myers is going to spend today trying to get an apartment and buy som clothes.

Now: someone tell me where the players who are perpetually on the Triple-A-Majors shuttle live and what they do for cars and stuff.

1. specialkindofstupid - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

(S)omeone tell me where the players who are perpetually on the Triple-A-Majors shuttle live and what they do for cars and stuff.

I always assumed they lived in vans. Like Jewel.

Site note: I also assume most of them write poetry.

• professormaddog31 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Baseball players live their lives for you on tv. They say they’re better than you, and you agree.

• tanzkommandant - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM

And Fred Dryer.

2. Alex K - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Didn’t you read “Out of my League”? Hayhurst lived at the hotel across the street from Petco and walked and took cabs everywhere. I assume a lot of guys do something similar.

• professormaddog31 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM

R.A. Dickey did pretty much the same when he wasn’t sleeping in guest rooms at friends’ houses or borrowing apartments from teammates who weren’t using theirs. The thing about how he and his family spent the first month or two in New York was interesting – no electricity!

3. ryanrockzzz - Jun 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Logistically, it’s pretty crazy having to do all of that stuff in just one day, but when you can pay cash for everything, they’ll get it done fast for you.

I’m pretty sure AAA players use their way above average person baseball playing salary to take a taxi where they need to go. Wil got a 2 million dollar signing bonus, so he can probably shell out 10.95 for a cab ride or two…..or 50.

• jwbiii - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I hate to break it to you, but AAA players not on the 40 man roster make $10,750 for the season.

• davidpom50 - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Pretty sure the team pays for transportation and hotel when they call a guy up.

• jwbiii - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Transportation, yes; housing, no. But with the significant salary bump to $490k, a player can afford to live in a hotel.

4. indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Cool article. I like this kid.

I follow him on Twitter. Recently he tweeted about some movie he was watching at home late on a Saturday night. I can’t remember the movie but it was something dull. Late Saturday night home watching a movie by himself, staying out of trouble. That’s how I like them.

I got to see him close up in person yesterday. No batting gloves. Walk up music is AC/DC, song older than he is. I watched his body language while he was waiting on deck calmly, about to face the legendary knuckler without a hint of nerves. He looks like a 12 year old with a man’s body. This boy is the real deal. He also needs a nickname.

• jerze2387 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Wil-Power?

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Not bad. I like it.

• jerze2387 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Its also Universal..when he does something good like a HR or double, hes showing the wil-power. If he takes a walk, he showed wil-power in not swinging.

I better TM that

• suziecue59 - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM

“Kickstart My Heart” by Motley Crue unless he’s already changed it.

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Thank you, suzie. That’s the song. I brain farted. It is Motley Crue–excellent choice. He sure has kickstarted Tampa Bay. And the song is older than he is.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Wil w/ one ‘L’?

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM

How boring!

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I hear you! Ithink him only using one ‘L’ is kinda’ weird myself. Alright…I am going to work on a picture so I can have the old Inda back. 8)

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I’ve changed? I’m still little ole me.

• afm00dy - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM

‘One L’d Wilie’ Myers

5. petey1999 - Jun 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Best case is when the AAA club is within a reasonable drive from the big club, as in Boston / Pawtucket. Makes the shuttle logistics much easier for the player. It’s interesting how many clubs have moved their AAA affiliates to within their metro area.

6. manute - Jun 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Hey valet, where does a guy go to get some some really tight Affliction shirts?

• js20011041 - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

The jerk store?

7. mazblast - Jun 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM

This goes back over 40 years. A story my father swore to be the truth–

Dad went to Anaheim in June for a trucking industry conference and, like everyone else at the conference, was staying at the Disneyland Hotel. Naturally, after conference sessions were through for the day and they’d gone to dinner, they congregated at the hotel bar. The Indians were in town to play the Angels, also were staying at the hotel, and after the game, naturally congregated at the hotel bar.

Dad was talking to a few of the Indians players (keep in mind that baseball players got a wage not that much higher than working people back then), one of them journeyman lefty reliever Mike Kilkenny. Kilkenny had started the year with Detroit, got traded in late April to Oakland, two weeks later was traded to San Diego, three or four weeks later was dealt to Cleveland. That’s three trades in under three months. Dad asked him how he was getting along, having been in so many cities and having had so many employers in that time. Kilkenny’s answer–

“I have leases on four apartments. My car is two cities behind me and three time zones from my city of employment. Half my baseball gear is in San Diego and I’m going down there to pick it up tomorrow. And I have no idea where my laundry is.”

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug