Jun 28, 2013, 12:09 AM EST
The Blue Jays announced after Thursday’s loss to the Red Sox that outfielder Melky Cabrera was placed on the 15-day disabled list with left knee tendinitis. The club will recall infielder Munenori Kawasaki from Triple-A Buffalo to take his place on the active roster.
Cabrera went 1-for-4 with a run scored Thursday and played the entire game in left field. He has been bothered by leg problems at various times this season, so it sounds like this could be a lingering injury. The 28-year-old is batting .278/.321/.362 with three home runs and 29 RBI through 78 games this season.
Kawasaki was demoted to Triple-A Buffalo earlier this week when Jose Reyes was activated from the disabled list, but his stint in the minors didn’t last long. The 32-year-old is hitting just .225 with a .662 OPS in 185 plate appearances this season, but he has quickly become a fan and clubhouse favorite. In fact, Blue Jays manager John Gibbons held a team meeting after Tuesday’s game to discuss Kawasaki’s demotion, which speaks to how well-liked he is among his teammates.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 2
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 29
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 89
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (92)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)