Concert-goer says Derek Holland was kicked out of Counting Crows concert for “being really obnoxious”
Jun 28, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Craig posted about Rangers lefty Derek Holland‘s adventure at a Counting Crows concert in New Jersey a few days ago. On Twitter, Holland complained about being kicked out for standing up and taking pictures, but a recent article by the Asbury Park Press has quotes from a concert-goer with a different account:
He was thrown out for ruining the show for everyone around him, said Amy Sloane, 40, of Howell, who was sitting in front of Holland.
“He was loud and he had a chip on his shoulder,” said Sloane, who didn’t know that Holland was a pitcher for the Rangers. “He was heckling people around us and talking about the group and just being really obnoxious.”
About an hour into the Counting Crows set, a young man in front of Sloane asked Holland to quiet down. Words were exchanged, and then security got involved. They escorted Holland out of the venue.
“Everyone clapped,” Sloane said. “They all felt the same way. Finally after that, everyone was dancing and enjoying themselves.
“Everyone was relieved that he was gone.”
Though his concert etiquette may need some work, he is otherwise having a great year. In 16 starts for the Rangers, the 26-year-old has a 3.14 ERA and is one of 13 qualified AL starters with an ERA below 3.50. He signed a five-year, $28.5 million extension with the Rangers in March last year.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 0
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 7
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 31
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)