Concert-goer says Derek Holland was kicked out of Counting Crows concert for “being really obnoxious”
Jun 28, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Craig posted about Rangers lefty Derek Holland‘s adventure at a Counting Crows concert in New Jersey a few days ago. On Twitter, Holland complained about being kicked out for standing up and taking pictures, but a recent article by the Asbury Park Press has quotes from a concert-goer with a different account:
He was thrown out for ruining the show for everyone around him, said Amy Sloane, 40, of Howell, who was sitting in front of Holland.
“He was loud and he had a chip on his shoulder,” said Sloane, who didn’t know that Holland was a pitcher for the Rangers. “He was heckling people around us and talking about the group and just being really obnoxious.”
About an hour into the Counting Crows set, a young man in front of Sloane asked Holland to quiet down. Words were exchanged, and then security got involved. They escorted Holland out of the venue.
“Everyone clapped,” Sloane said. “They all felt the same way. Finally after that, everyone was dancing and enjoying themselves.
“Everyone was relieved that he was gone.”
Though his concert etiquette may need some work, he is otherwise having a great year. In 16 starts for the Rangers, the 26-year-old has a 3.14 ERA and is one of 13 qualified AL starters with an ERA below 3.50. He signed a five-year, $28.5 million extension with the Rangers in March last year.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)