Concert-goer says Derek Holland was kicked out of Counting Crows concert for “being really obnoxious”
Jun 28, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Craig posted about Rangers lefty Derek Holland‘s adventure at a Counting Crows concert in New Jersey a few days ago. On Twitter, Holland complained about being kicked out for standing up and taking pictures, but a recent article by the Asbury Park Press has quotes from a concert-goer with a different account:
He was thrown out for ruining the show for everyone around him, said Amy Sloane, 40, of Howell, who was sitting in front of Holland.
“He was loud and he had a chip on his shoulder,” said Sloane, who didn’t know that Holland was a pitcher for the Rangers. “He was heckling people around us and talking about the group and just being really obnoxious.”
About an hour into the Counting Crows set, a young man in front of Sloane asked Holland to quiet down. Words were exchanged, and then security got involved. They escorted Holland out of the venue.
“Everyone clapped,” Sloane said. “They all felt the same way. Finally after that, everyone was dancing and enjoying themselves.
“Everyone was relieved that he was gone.”
Though his concert etiquette may need some work, he is otherwise having a great year. In 16 starts for the Rangers, the 26-year-old has a 3.14 ERA and is one of 13 qualified AL starters with an ERA below 3.50. He signed a five-year, $28.5 million extension with the Rangers in March last year.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 32
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)