Concert-goer says Derek Holland was kicked out of Counting Crows concert for “being really obnoxious”
Jun 28, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Craig posted about Rangers lefty Derek Holland‘s adventure at a Counting Crows concert in New Jersey a few days ago. On Twitter, Holland complained about being kicked out for standing up and taking pictures, but a recent article by the Asbury Park Press has quotes from a concert-goer with a different account:
He was thrown out for ruining the show for everyone around him, said Amy Sloane, 40, of Howell, who was sitting in front of Holland.
“He was loud and he had a chip on his shoulder,” said Sloane, who didn’t know that Holland was a pitcher for the Rangers. “He was heckling people around us and talking about the group and just being really obnoxious.”
About an hour into the Counting Crows set, a young man in front of Sloane asked Holland to quiet down. Words were exchanged, and then security got involved. They escorted Holland out of the venue.
“Everyone clapped,” Sloane said. “They all felt the same way. Finally after that, everyone was dancing and enjoying themselves.
“Everyone was relieved that he was gone.”
Though his concert etiquette may need some work, he is otherwise having a great year. In 16 starts for the Rangers, the 26-year-old has a 3.14 ERA and is one of 13 qualified AL starters with an ERA below 3.50. He signed a five-year, $28.5 million extension with the Rangers in March last year.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)