Jun 28, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Chavez, 35, had been sidelined with a strained right oblique since the end of May. The injury interrupted a fantastic first two months. Facing right-handed pitching almost exclusively, Chavez hit .325/.368/.588. In his stead, Martin Prado took over every day at third base, starting every game between May 31 and June 22.
Hinske, also 35, was not enjoying his 2013 season. Usually a reliable bat off the bench, he carries a meager .173/.259/.288 slash line, including just nine hits in 45 trips to the plate as a pinch-hitter. This marks his second consecutive season of subpar offense but good lefty bench bats are hard to find, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see Hinske get a shot with another team.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)