Jun 28, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Trevor Bauer is back up with the Indians to start Game 1 of today’s doubleheader, but as usual with Bauer it may only be a short stay in the majors.
Acquired this offseason in the three-team blockbuster trade with the Diamondbacks and Reds, the former No. 3 overall pick will be making his eighth career start in the majors. This year at Triple-A he’s racked up 67 strikeouts in 65 innings, but Bauer has also walked 5.0 batters per nine innings, served up nine homers, and posted a 4.13 ERA that’s right around the International League average of 4.18. In other words, he hasn’t been very impressive.
Bauer is still just 22 years old and his electric raw stuff remains, but he’s made zero progress with his awful control. In addition to all the free passes at Triple-A he’s also walked 28 batters in 32.2 innings as a big leaguer, although today at least the one thing in Bauer’s favor is that the White Sox have drawn the fewest walks in the American League.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 31
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)