Jun 28, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Trevor Bauer is back up with the Indians to start Game 1 of today’s doubleheader, but as usual with Bauer it may only be a short stay in the majors.
Acquired this offseason in the three-team blockbuster trade with the Diamondbacks and Reds, the former No. 3 overall pick will be making his eighth career start in the majors. This year at Triple-A he’s racked up 67 strikeouts in 65 innings, but Bauer has also walked 5.0 batters per nine innings, served up nine homers, and posted a 4.13 ERA that’s right around the International League average of 4.18. In other words, he hasn’t been very impressive.
Bauer is still just 22 years old and his electric raw stuff remains, but he’s made zero progress with his awful control. In addition to all the free passes at Triple-A he’s also walked 28 batters in 32.2 innings as a big leaguer, although today at least the one thing in Bauer’s favor is that the White Sox have drawn the fewest walks in the American League.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 125
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (126)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)