Jun 28, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
Miguel Cabrera hit two home runs and drove in three runs and Prince Fielder added a two-run homer of his own to back starter Max Scherzer, who improved to 12-0. Cabrera bumped his Triple Crown stats to .377/24/81. He leads the Majors in average and RBI, but trails Orioles first baseman Chris Davis (28) in home runs. Fielder’s homer was a monster that hit the catwalk at Tropicana Field.
As for Scherzer, he held the Rays to three runs over seven innings, striking out nine and walking one. He becomes the first pitcher to start 12-0 since Roger Clemens in 1986 with the Red Sox. That year, Clemens went 24-4 with a 2.48 ERA en route to taking home both the AL Cy Young (unanimously) and MVP awards. Scherzer currently has a 3.10 ERA.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)