Jun 28, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
The Phillies won’t be using first baseman Ryan Howard in the starting lineup until Sunday, reports Matt Gelb. Howard had an awful game last night, costing his team both offensively (with a rally-killing double play in the fifth inning) and defensively (falling down while fielding a Juan Uribe sacrifice bunt) en route to a loss. He had been on a bit of a tear, raising his OPS 100 points between June 12-22, but it quickly faded. The Dodgers are slated to use lefties Chris Capuano tonight and Hyun-jin Ryu tomorrow.
Year two of the Ryan Howard extension has been better than year one, but GM Ruben Amaro obviously hoped for a lot more than what they’ve gotten thus far. Howard has been battling a nagging knee injury for a while, which is at least partially to blame for his recent woes. Still, you have to wonder when the Phillies swallow their pride and relegate him to a platoon role. He is carrying a .516 OPS against lefties at the moment, compared to .894 against right-handers.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)