Red Sox fan stabbed by Yankees fan awarded $4.3 million verdict

Jun 28, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

red sox and yankees logos

The crime happened in 2010. These days I can only assume that a Yankees fan wouldn’t feel so violently sure of himself and his team:

A Boston Red Sox fan who was harassed and stabbed through the neck by a New York Yankees fan at a restaurant in 2010 has been awarded $4.3 million by a jury. Lawyers for victim Monte Freire and the U.S.S. Chowder Pot III restaurant say the jury reached the verdict Thursday in his favor and against the restaurant, which is in Branford, Conn.

The claim was that the restaurant did nothing to stop the attacker — and continued to serve him alcohol — even though they knew he was drunk and getting violent. This is the jury award. Damages are often reduced by the judge after the verdict.

1. titknocker - Jun 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM

They should of taken away the restaurants liquor license as well.

2. aceshigh11 - Jun 28, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I’d take a knife between the ribs for $4.3 mil, honestly.

• jlovenotjlo - Jun 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I was thinking the same thing

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Except: “A Boston Red Sox fan who was harassed and stabbed through the neck”

Which reminds me of the hockey player that took the skate to the neck, scary area to take a puncture, not a whole lot of non-vital space in the neck.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Clint Malarchuk. One of the scariest things I’ve seen in sports.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Ribs is probably around the $1.3 million range, minus the 33% for the lawyer.

Getting stabbed in the ribs is the red head stepchild of the being stabbed industry.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 28, 2013 at 8:51 AM

The guy suffered brain injuries. No thanks.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 28, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Okay, that was admittedly a stupid comment on my part.

I’m JUST SAYIN’ there are certain injuries I’d be willing to suffer through if it meant a seven-figure payout.

No offense to the guy in the article…that’s a terrible thing he went through.

• bigharold - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM

” I’d be willing to suffer through if it meant a seven-figure payout.”

I’m not trying to insult you or your intelligence but you don’t know what you are talking about. You’re not stupid or insensitive just ignorant.

I lost an arm as a child and received a cash settlement for it. When I was younger I had people say the same type of things to me and I can assure you that you are, like them, wrong because you don’t know what your saying. You’ve no idea how it affects your life in ways that might not seem detrimental but yet have an affect on you. This, like mine, is a life altering injury and it changes everything. People that make these statements have never had a life altering injury and, to a lesser extent, give way too much credit to the power that money has to help you through life.

I would be the first one to say going through life with one arm is not as tough as it looks. Or, at least it wasn’t for me. I was a HS football, baseball player and wrestler. Second string at all of them but that hand more to do wit the fact that I wasn’t very big or particularly strong in HS. I have indulged my passion for motorcycles since I was old enough to get one without my parents permission and have ridden them for over 35 years. And, riding with one arm is not as hard as it looks either. To this day I still do my own tune up, oil changes and brake jobs myself on my cars and motorcycles. The point being having one arm isn’t that much of a physical impairment if you don’t let it be. I’m sure that I benefited greatly by losing my arm at a young age as it gave me plenty of time to adapt. But, all in all I’d rather had never lost my arm in the first place. And, frankly the money, though not even a fraction of what this fellow was awarded, didn’t make it worth it at all. If anything it made things worse for me. And, he will find that the money he gets isn’t worth it either.

And, there is the collateral damage it does to your loved ones. Everybody in my family had to deal with me losing my arm. I’m sure this guys family have had a terrible time of it. I remember how hard my Mother took it when I lost my arm. I took her years to get past it and it was, without a doubt, harder for her than it ever was for me. It’s easy to say I’d take that if millions of dollars but the people that say that usually have never had that type of experience, .. which is why they say it. Again, I’m not looking to pick a fight here but you are wrong.

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I also expect that $4.3 mil to be toned done by a judge quite a bit.

• nolanwiffle - Jun 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Meet me in the alley behind the U.S.S. Chowder Pot……I have a knife and a redeemable I.O.U. I’m good for it, I swear.

• jm91rs - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

You just have to meet on the property of someone with money. Apparently that will make them liable and you’ll get rich.

3. Old Gator - Jun 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM

At my age, there are less valuable organs than ribs I could sacrifice for that much. And it might save my hair, too.

• historiophiliac - Jun 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Don’t give people ideas about “retiring” A-Rod now.

• Old Gator - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Does A Roid have hair?

• historiophiliac - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Not much, I think, but I’m sure that there are angry Yanks fans who consider him a less valuable organ.

4. pisano - Jun 28, 2013 at 9:12 AM

All well and good that he got the verdict, but now try getting the money. In our system the verdict is one thing, but the court can’t/doesn’t get you your money. Example: the Goldman family, trying to get money out of the slasher, OJ Simpson. Hell will freeze over before they recover anything.

• ezthinking - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM

OJ doesn’t have insurance coverage. The restaurant will. Now to survive the appeals process….

• historiophiliac - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Do they have murder insurance? I mean, not that I’d want to get it…a time or two…or anything. What?

5. jm91rs - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I’m sorry but $4.3 million because a drunk guy continued to be served alcohol? That happens in EVERY bar in EVERY town on EVERY day. I’m not sure they should be liable for a criminal stabbing someone. The liability insurance everyone is going to be forced to have some day is going to be a big burden to everyone, all because some assholes decide to stab when they’re drunk.

• supersnappy - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM

The settlement is rarely based just on the tort (serving a drunk, violent guy more alcohol). Its typically based mainly on the severity of the injuries the victim sustained. $4.3 million sounds like a ton of money until you have to spend it on a permanently injured person. A (I presume) fairly young guy who had a decent job would have earned upwards of $1.5 to $2million in pay between 2010 and his retirement, now he earns $0 since he can’t work. If he needs home care, therapy, medication etc, it can cost a couple of thousand per month, and could be needed for 40+ years. It could easily be another million. Once you add in something for pain & suffering and quality of lifeissues, and something else for legal fees all of a sudden $4.3 million starts to look less outrageous.
      I can’t speak to the details of the case etc but I can guarantee you wouldn’t switch places with the victim for twice that much.

• jm91rs - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I’m not saying $4.3 million is enough for this guy to say “wow, I’m glad I got stabbed at that bar.” I just have a problem with the liability of the restaurant. I’ve always had a problem with a business getting in trouble for someone else’s personal decision making. I’ve had the same reaction to drunk drivers injuring someone and then the bar being blamed. I don’t see where it ends. If a sober guy stabs someone in a bar is the bar still liable for not promoting a safe place? It’s a slippery slope, and as a small business owner I feel for the guy that has to close his doors and tell 10+ people they’re out of work because he can no longer afford insurance.

Obviously the law disagrees with me, I just don’t like it.

• forsch31 - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Sorry, but there are two problems with that view in this case:

1. The perpetrator was drunk, and thus was not mentally capable of making the correct personal decisions.

2. The restaurant continued serving the guy drinks even after he became drunk *and* violent.

Liability is about assigning the responsiblity for the incident. Someone who is drunk is mentally impaired; the guy serving the drinks and running the establishment is not. The patron should have been (a) cut off, and (b) kicked out before the situation escalted. The bartenders received multiple warnings that the perpetrator was trying to start a fight.

I have friends who make their living as bartenders, and one of them owns her own place. Any bar that gets its patrons drunk and then sends them on their way without making sure they’re driving deserves to be closed. Drunks are not capable of making rational decisions, and any compentent bartender should cut off someone when they’ve had too much–that’s part of their job. I’ve got no sympathy for establishments who are unresponsible with their profession.

• jm91rs - Jun 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Drunk people ARE capable of making rational personal decisions. Every time you drink and choose NOT to drive home you are making a correct personal decision. They are capable of making the correct decisions, which is exactly why the attacker was prosecuted for not making the correct decision.

A bar should not continue to serve a belligerent drunk, at the same time you can’t expect the bar owner to throw out every asshole that comes in the door. There’s no reasonable way to know that the guy you’re serving might pull a knife. Most bars will look at a wasted guy and ask his buddies if he’s driving before they serve him anymore. Now they have to ask “does this dude have a knife? A bad temper? an extreme dislike of red sox fans?” It’s all getting a little crazy and I just wonder where it ends. The only winners in a situation like this are the lawyers.

6. andreweac - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM

There has to be a good NFL murder joke in this one some how.

7. koufaxmitzvah - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I ran a rock club for 9 years. You need to know your customers. If the establishment has a customer causing trouble for other people, then that customer needs to leave. The establishment can not, in good faith, continue to make money off the guy if the guy in question is running his mouth and threatening folks. Serve them water and see ‘em around. Drunk people will go away if you allow them.

For this incident to have escalated to a customer being stabbed in the neck is disgraceful for the establishment. And over a baseball argument….

8. anotheryx - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM

There is a restaurant called U.S.S. Chowder Pot III??! Where?

• supersnappy - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Even better – there must be a U.S.S Chowder Pot I and U.S.S. Chowder Pot II somewhere too!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5199)