Ryan Howard takes full responsibility for Phillies loss

Jun 28, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

He could be a little easier on himself and note that he didn’t walk the leadoff hitter in the seventh inning and that Yasiel Puig is a really damn good player who hit a pitch that was really a ball for the go-ahead runs.

But Ryan Howard did ground into a double play when he swung at a bad pitch with a 3-0 count, killing a rally, and he did mess up in the seventh inning when he fell down while trying to field a bunt. And after the game he said it was all on him. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports:

“I take full responsibility,” he said. “I’ve got to be better than that … Those are two plays, two key moments that changed the flow of the game,” Howard said. “It sucks. I’m upset I didn’t make that play. I slipped and I cost my team the game … I have to do a better job.”

Howard is in an 0-for-16 run at the moment and certainly didn’t distinguish himself last night. But it’s a pretty stand-up way to handle failure after a game.

1. stoutfiles - Jun 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM

As long as you keep collecting game checks, taking the blame doesn’t really mean anything.

• footballfan01 - Jun 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM

- ____ -

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Who are some of your favorite athletes? How many of them have given a game check or any kind of money back to the organization they are employed by when they make mistakes, let alone take responsibility for them?

Oh, you don’t like that? Then stick to watching amatuer sports, where the athletes are essentially exploited for their talents so executives of organizations can reap in all the profits, instead of some of them.

• 18thstreet - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I think the rule here is, the first comment has to be completely idiotic.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Some days, so it seems. every once in a while someone puts up a gem though, instead of dung.

• stoutfiles - Jun 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM

None, but I don’t applaud them as heroes for taking the blame. He’s an expensive liability that just keeps getting worse.

• gostlcards5 - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Even further, do you give back your check (or part of it) to your employer when you screw up, as everyone invariably does? Or, do you take responsibility for your mistake and move on?

• stevenbaker312 - Jun 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM

In the first year of free agency, ca. 1977, Lyman Bostock offered to give back a big portion of his salary. The Angels declined.

• Shayna - Jun 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Two words for you — Gil Meche. Walked away from a $12 million contract payout because he felt he couldn’t do the job. An astonishingly honest and responsible gesture.

NYT story here:

• Kevin S. - Jun 29, 2013 at 5:05 AM

IIRC, Bostock then donated his first month’s salary to his church, feeling he didn’t deserve the money.

2. paperlions - Jun 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I wonder if Papelbon was taking notes.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I hope he was at least paying attention.

• drunkenhooliganism - Jun 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM

The Phillies clubhouse staff are sick of getting the crayon stains off his uniform

3. phillyfour4four - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I like Ryan Howard; I’m really hoping he finds a way to dig himself out of this slump and find his power again.

4. ryanrockzzz - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Well….considering most of this lineup swings at 3-0 pitches all the time, it’s like apologizing for somethign that’s commonplace on the team. Jimmy Rollins is the king of this. God forbid Charlie Mauel ever demands they take a pitch, he should apologize also for running the team like a yacht club.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM

“considering most of this lineup swings at 3-0 pitches all the time, it’s like apologizing for something that’s commonplace on the team.”

Really? Swinging at a 3-0 pitch is a regular occurrence for the Phillies?

If so…I am thinking their game-day strategy might be something they want to reconsider. Wow.

• ryanrockzzz - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:20 AM

yea….if you watch any Phillies game, it happens at least one or two times per game. Especially with the established vets like Howard, Rollins, Ruiz etc. Thank god Utley and Dom Brown have some sense, or it would happen a lot more frequently. Can’t tell you how many times I have walked away from the TV after Jimmy Rollins sweetly pops up that 3-0 fastball to the shortstop….

• sandwiches4ever - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM

If by “all the time”, you mean 13 times in 80 games, then yes.

• sandwiches4ever - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Also, out of those thirteen times, Dom Brown has done it 7 times. Howard has 3 and Ruiz has 3. No one else (including Jimmy Rollins) has any this year.

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Yeah I figured it wasn’t “All the time”. Kudos to the Sandwich master for actually digging up the data.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Jimmy Rollins hasn’t made an out on a 3-0 pitch this season:

In his entire career, he’s gotten out on 3-0 pitches four times, and has five hits.

So he’s put nine 3-0 pitches in play over his 443 total plate appearances that started with a 3-0 count, or about 2% of them. I can’t say how many times he’s swung at missed, but I can tell you that you’ve walked away from the TV no more than four times after Jimmy Rollins popped up a 3-0 fastball to the shortstop.

Unless of course baseball-reference is steering me wrong.

• Joe - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM

They’ve only put the ball in play 7 times on those 13 3-0 swings:

• Joe - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Dom Brown hit a grand slam on one of those swings.

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 28, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Dang Internet! People can’t make half-azzed ignorant comments anymore without being called on it! What is this world coming to?!?

/s

• allmyexsliveintexas - Jun 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I’m guessing the OP is thinking of “bad at-bats” for Howard and Rollins. One particular instance I saw in my only game at Philly this season was Rollins coming up after the opposing pitcher walked the two men before him (including the 9th place pitcher) and promptly swung at the first pitch to pop out to SS and end the inning. It’s not a case of swinging at 3-0 pitches exactly, it’s the generally low baseball IQ of Phillies batters.

5. specialkindofstupid - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I missed the game, so I can’t adequately comment on Howard’s culpability until I watch a replay of him falling down. Its hilarity will determine his culpability — the funnier it is, the more I’ll forgive him.

I have the same deal with Dane Cook, which is why I hate him.

6. dankil13 - Jun 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM

This team is so bad fundamentally. In the 2nd inning after Brown’s HR, the next two runners get on base only to see a pop out, failed attempt to bunt, and a guy get picked off 2B. They didn’t even touch 3B. How does that happen at this level? The manager lets his players get away with this without any repercussion! So Howard isn’t the only person responsible for last nights lost!

• stevenbaker312 - Jun 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM

It happens at this level because guys on the other team, at this level have a job to do, too, namely, to succeed and to make the other team fail. That’s what sports is all about. And, big surprise, the most talented player or the best team doesn’t always come out on top.

7. hcf95688 - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Ironically, considering the photo, he comes off as a stand up guy.

• gostlcards5 - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Well played.

And on a serious note, Howard is a stand-up guy. He’s always seemed so to me, anyway. Great teammate, etc. I agree with the post above. I’d like to see him find his way back from his slump, too.

8. Francisco (FC) - Jun 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Howard IS being a little hard on himself. The Phillies have alternately shown signs of brilliance and incompetence throughout the season, often within the same game. This is basically a .500 club.

9. colbycal1383 - Jun 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM

You’d hope the highest paid non pitcher on the team would take a little responsibility ha. Another great move by Ruben!! Howard’s trash now

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM

So tell us…did you feel like a complete Dick after calling Ryan Howard “trash?”
      Because…(newsflash)…
      That is how we took it.

10. binarymath - Jun 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Despite his struggles, I remain a fan of Howard.

But if you had just printed the [b]“I take full responsibility,” he said. “I’ve got to be better than that. I’ve got to do a better job”[/b] quote and asked me to identify the speaker, I would have sworn it came from Andy Reid.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3238)