Jun 28, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT
He could be a little easier on himself and note that he didn’t walk the leadoff hitter in the seventh inning and that Yasiel Puig is a really damn good player who hit a pitch that was really a ball for the go-ahead runs.
But Ryan Howard did ground into a double play when he swung at a bad pitch with a 3-0 count, killing a rally, and he did mess up in the seventh inning when he fell down while trying to field a bunt. And after the game he said it was all on him. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports:
“I take full responsibility,” he said. “I’ve got to be better than that … Those are two plays, two key moments that changed the flow of the game,” Howard said. “It sucks. I’m upset I didn’t make that play. I slipped and I cost my team the game … I have to do a better job.”
Howard is in an 0-for-16 run at the moment and certainly didn’t distinguish himself last night. But it’s a pretty stand-up way to handle failure after a game.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)