Jun 28, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT
He could be a little easier on himself and note that he didn’t walk the leadoff hitter in the seventh inning and that Yasiel Puig is a really damn good player who hit a pitch that was really a ball for the go-ahead runs.
But Ryan Howard did ground into a double play when he swung at a bad pitch with a 3-0 count, killing a rally, and he did mess up in the seventh inning when he fell down while trying to field a bunt. And after the game he said it was all on him. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports:
“I take full responsibility,” he said. “I’ve got to be better than that … Those are two plays, two key moments that changed the flow of the game,” Howard said. “It sucks. I’m upset I didn’t make that play. I slipped and I cost my team the game … I have to do a better job.”
Howard is in an 0-for-16 run at the moment and certainly didn’t distinguish himself last night. But it’s a pretty stand-up way to handle failure after a game.
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 14
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 8
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 51
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 95
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)