Jun 28, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
You get the impression that the Yankees have figured out that the cuckoo 36 hours or so in which A-Rod tweeted, Cashman bleated and then the rumors about A-Rod’s sinister plot to do, well, something, weren’t in the team’s best interestes. Because based on this story in the Daily News, things are sorta getting back to normal:
Derek Jeter, also rehabbing in Tampa, said Thursday that Rodriguez, who has missed the first three months of the season due to hip surgery in January, looks like he can still be a contributing player to the Yankees.
“Alex works extremely hard,” said Jeter, who is in Tampa to rehab the left ankle he broke during the 2012 playoffs. “He is working hard now to get back.”
Meanwhile, a Yankee source and a Rodriguez spokesperson both shot down multiple reports that A-Rod had told the Yankees — including GM Brian Cashman and team president Randy Levine on a call Wednesday — that he didn’t think he could come back this year.
The Yankee source told the Daily News the reports are “fantasy.”
If the Captain offers some support in A-Rod’s direction and the team calls a report that makes A-Rod look bad a “fantasy” one gets the sense that a decision has been made to try to put this fire out.
My guess: next thing we hear from anyone in all of this will be when A-Rod is actually cleared to play.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (170)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (85)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)