Jun 29, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
If it weren’t for Miguel Cabrera, Chris Davis would have been all we’d have talked about this season. The Orioles first baseman’s ridiculous season continued tonight as he mashed two home runs: a three-run shot in the bottom of the first off of Yankees starter David Phelps, and a two-run shot in the bottom of the seventh against Ivan Nova. He now sits on 30 home runs with a .333 average and 79 RBI.
Entering July most years, that’s set up well for a run at the Triple Crown, but Miguel Cabrera has other ideas as he leads baseball with a .377 average and 81 RBI. Cabrera, you may remember, became the first player to win the Triple Crown in 45 years in 2012.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)