Jun 29, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT
Here’s your introduction to Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, a Cuban right-hander who is poised to get the next major payday among international players.
Gonzalez, 26, has taken up residency in Mexico while he waits to be unblocked by the U.S. Treasury Department. That could happen as soon as next week, reports Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com. While he can’t sign with an MLB team yet, CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler hears that “about 45 scouts” were in attendance last night when he threw for the Tijuana Toros. The Cubs apparently had the largest presence, but Knobler writes that the Dodgers “badly want” to sign him. The Red Sox and Angels are among the other teams who watched Gonzalez last night.
Gonzalez is older than 23 and played in Cuba’s top league for more than three seasons, so he will not be subject to MLB’s international spending cap. In other words, there will be no restriction on what he’ll be paid. Some are saying he could get a contract in the $40-60 million range.
Gonzalez stands at 6-foot-3 and Sanchez writes that he “has a fastball in the mid-90s, a changeup, fork and a curveball.” He made a name for himself at the 2010 University Baseball Championships in Tokyo and the Baseball World Cup in 2009 and 2011, but barely pitched in Cuba over the past two seasons, as he was suspended for attempting to leave the country. He finally fled earlier this year.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)