Jun 29, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT
Here’s your introduction to Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, a Cuban right-hander who is poised to get the next major payday among international players.
Gonzalez, 26, has taken up residency in Mexico while he waits to be unblocked by the U.S. Treasury Department. That could happen as soon as next week, reports Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com. While he can’t sign with an MLB team yet, CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler hears that “about 45 scouts” were in attendance last night when he threw for the Tijuana Toros. The Cubs apparently had the largest presence, but Knobler writes that the Dodgers “badly want” to sign him. The Red Sox and Angels are among the other teams who watched Gonzalez last night.
Gonzalez is older than 23 and played in Cuba’s top league for more than three seasons, so he will not be subject to MLB’s international spending cap. In other words, there will be no restriction on what he’ll be paid. Some are saying he could get a contract in the $40-60 million range.
Gonzalez stands at 6-foot-3 and Sanchez writes that he “has a fastball in the mid-90s, a changeup, fork and a curveball.” He made a name for himself at the 2010 University Baseball Championships in Tokyo and the Baseball World Cup in 2009 and 2011, but barely pitched in Cuba over the past two seasons, as he was suspended for attempting to leave the country. He finally fled earlier this year.
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 1
- The beauty of belief 23
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)