Jun 29, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT
Here’s your introduction to Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, a Cuban right-hander who is poised to get the next major payday among international players.
Gonzalez, 26, has taken up residency in Mexico while he waits to be unblocked by the U.S. Treasury Department. That could happen as soon as next week, reports Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com. While he can’t sign with an MLB team yet, CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler hears that “about 45 scouts” were in attendance last night when he threw for the Tijuana Toros. The Cubs apparently had the largest presence, but Knobler writes that the Dodgers “badly want” to sign him. The Red Sox and Angels are among the other teams who watched Gonzalez last night.
Gonzalez is older than 23 and played in Cuba’s top league for more than three seasons, so he will not be subject to MLB’s international spending cap. In other words, there will be no restriction on what he’ll be paid. Some are saying he could get a contract in the $40-60 million range.
Gonzalez stands at 6-foot-3 and Sanchez writes that he “has a fastball in the mid-90s, a changeup, fork and a curveball.” He made a name for himself at the 2010 University Baseball Championships in Tokyo and the Baseball World Cup in 2009 and 2011, but barely pitched in Cuba over the past two seasons, as he was suspended for attempting to leave the country. He finally fled earlier this year.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)