Jun 29, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
The Rays have dropped 10 out of their last 16 games and saw Evan Longoria leave last night’s game after aggravating a foot injury, but there is some good news on the horizon. According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, David Price will be activated from the disabled list to start Tuesday against the Astros.
Price has missed a month and a half with a left triceps strain, but he allowed two runs (one earned) in 7 1/3 innings over two minor league rehab starts with High-A Charlotte. The Rays were considering having him make another start in the minors, but he has convinced them that he’s ready to return.
“He’s ready to go,” manager Joe Maddon said. “We felt that pretty strongly. He feels very good. There’s no reason to have him throw those 90 pitches in (Class A) Port Charlotte, so we’ll just have him do it for us. He’s adamant that he felt great. The medical staff feels good about it, so let’s do it with us.”
Price had a 5.24 ERA in 16 starts prior to the injury, though his secondary numbers weren’t far off from his career norms. The Rays are hoping that he’ll resemble his Cy Young form upon his return.
- Greetings from All-Star week in Minneapolis 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 6
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 49
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 39
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 5
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)