Jun 29, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
The Rays have dropped 10 out of their last 16 games and saw Evan Longoria leave last night’s game after aggravating a foot injury, but there is some good news on the horizon. According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, David Price will be activated from the disabled list to start Tuesday against the Astros.
Price has missed a month and a half with a left triceps strain, but he allowed two runs (one earned) in 7 1/3 innings over two minor league rehab starts with High-A Charlotte. The Rays were considering having him make another start in the minors, but he has convinced them that he’s ready to return.
“He’s ready to go,” manager Joe Maddon said. “We felt that pretty strongly. He feels very good. There’s no reason to have him throw those 90 pitches in (Class A) Port Charlotte, so we’ll just have him do it for us. He’s adamant that he felt great. The medical staff feels good about it, so let’s do it with us.”
Price had a 5.24 ERA in 16 starts prior to the injury, though his secondary numbers weren’t far off from his career norms. The Rays are hoping that he’ll resemble his Cy Young form upon his return.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)