Jun 29, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
The Rays have dropped 10 out of their last 16 games and saw Evan Longoria leave last night’s game after aggravating a foot injury, but there is some good news on the horizon. According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, David Price will be activated from the disabled list to start Tuesday against the Astros.
Price has missed a month and a half with a left triceps strain, but he allowed two runs (one earned) in 7 1/3 innings over two minor league rehab starts with High-A Charlotte. The Rays were considering having him make another start in the minors, but he has convinced them that he’s ready to return.
“He’s ready to go,” manager Joe Maddon said. “We felt that pretty strongly. He feels very good. There’s no reason to have him throw those 90 pitches in (Class A) Port Charlotte, so we’ll just have him do it for us. He’s adamant that he felt great. The medical staff feels good about it, so let’s do it with us.”
Price had a 5.24 ERA in 16 starts prior to the injury, though his secondary numbers weren’t far off from his career norms. The Rays are hoping that he’ll resemble his Cy Young form upon his return.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)