Jun 29, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
The Rays have dropped 10 out of their last 16 games and saw Evan Longoria leave last night’s game after aggravating a foot injury, but there is some good news on the horizon. According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, David Price will be activated from the disabled list to start Tuesday against the Astros.
Price has missed a month and a half with a left triceps strain, but he allowed two runs (one earned) in 7 1/3 innings over two minor league rehab starts with High-A Charlotte. The Rays were considering having him make another start in the minors, but he has convinced them that he’s ready to return.
“He’s ready to go,” manager Joe Maddon said. “We felt that pretty strongly. He feels very good. There’s no reason to have him throw those 90 pitches in (Class A) Port Charlotte, so we’ll just have him do it for us. He’s adamant that he felt great. The medical staff feels good about it, so let’s do it with us.”
Price had a 5.24 ERA in 16 starts prior to the injury, though his secondary numbers weren’t far off from his career norms. The Rays are hoping that he’ll resemble his Cy Young form upon his return.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)