Jun 29, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
The Rays have dropped 10 out of their last 16 games and saw Evan Longoria leave last night’s game after aggravating a foot injury, but there is some good news on the horizon. According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, David Price will be activated from the disabled list to start Tuesday against the Astros.
Price has missed a month and a half with a left triceps strain, but he allowed two runs (one earned) in 7 1/3 innings over two minor league rehab starts with High-A Charlotte. The Rays were considering having him make another start in the minors, but he has convinced them that he’s ready to return.
“He’s ready to go,” manager Joe Maddon said. “We felt that pretty strongly. He feels very good. There’s no reason to have him throw those 90 pitches in (Class A) Port Charlotte, so we’ll just have him do it for us. He’s adamant that he felt great. The medical staff feels good about it, so let’s do it with us.”
Price had a 5.24 ERA in 16 starts prior to the injury, though his secondary numbers weren’t far off from his career norms. The Rays are hoping that he’ll resemble his Cy Young form upon his return.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)