Jun 29, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
After missing seven weeks with a right elbow injury, J.J. Putz was activated from the disabled list this afternoon.
Putz originally appeared bound for surgery due to a strained flexor pronator and nerve irritation, but he didn’t have any setbacks after resuming his throwing program and made it through four minor league rehab appearances without any issues. It’s always possible that the symptoms will resurface, but he’s ready to rejoin the Diamondbacks’ bullpen.
Putz was struggling prior to the injury, posting a 4.26 ERA in 14 appearances while blowing four out of his first nine save chances. Heath Bell has been terrible recently, so Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told Steve Gilbert of MLB.com that Putz will close in a potential save situation. However, he indicated to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic yesterday that he’s unlikely to use him on back-to-back initially.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (159)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)