Jun 29, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Cueto has been placed on the disabled list. He was set to be examined today, but there’s no word yet on the results. The Reds have recalled Logan Ondrusek from Triple-A Louisville in a corresponding roster move while Cingrani will replace Cueto in the starting rotation.
11:20 AM: Troubling development for the second-place Reds last night, as right-hander Johnny Cueto was forced to leave his start against the Rangers in the second inning after aggravating a right lat muscle injury.
Cueto, who has already had two stints on the disabled list this season, initially felt symptoms in the first inning. While he was cleared to stay in the game, he was seen grimacing on a 1-2 pitch to Mitch Moreland in the second inning and was immediately pulled after being visited by Reds manager Dusty Baker and head trainer Paul Lessard.
Baker told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that Cueto will be sent back to Cincinnati for tests, but another stint on the disabled list appears likely.
“It was the same thing,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “We’re going to send him back to see the doctor [in Cincinnati]. We’ll have to contemplate whatever the roster move is. We’ll tell you about it [Saturday].”
Cueto, 27, has a 3.21 ERA and 40/14 K/BB ratio in 47 2/3 innings over eight starts this season. Tony Cingrani figures to replace him in the starting rotation once again.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)