Jun 29, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Cueto has been placed on the disabled list. He was set to be examined today, but there’s no word yet on the results. The Reds have recalled Logan Ondrusek from Triple-A Louisville in a corresponding roster move while Cingrani will replace Cueto in the starting rotation.
11:20 AM: Troubling development for the second-place Reds last night, as right-hander Johnny Cueto was forced to leave his start against the Rangers in the second inning after aggravating a right lat muscle injury.
Cueto, who has already had two stints on the disabled list this season, initially felt symptoms in the first inning. While he was cleared to stay in the game, he was seen grimacing on a 1-2 pitch to Mitch Moreland in the second inning and was immediately pulled after being visited by Reds manager Dusty Baker and head trainer Paul Lessard.
Baker told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that Cueto will be sent back to Cincinnati for tests, but another stint on the disabled list appears likely.
“It was the same thing,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “We’re going to send him back to see the doctor [in Cincinnati]. We’ll have to contemplate whatever the roster move is. We’ll tell you about it [Saturday].”
Cueto, 27, has a 3.21 ERA and 40/14 K/BB ratio in 47 2/3 innings over eight starts this season. Tony Cingrani figures to replace him in the starting rotation once again.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 95
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 148
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (148)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)