Pirates win eighth in a row, are the first team to 50 wins

Jun 29, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

The Pirates continued their hot streak with a 2-1 victory over the Brewers tonight, their eighth in a row and their 50th of the season. The Red Sox also started the day at 49 wins, but dropped their afternoon game against the Blue Jays. The Cardinals won, so the Pirates maintain their one-game lead in the NL Central.

Starter Francisco Liriano tossed six solid frames for the Buccos, allowing just one run on seven hits and a walk while striking out six. He lowered his ERA to 2.23 as he has turned out to be quite a solid pickup by GM Neal Huntington judging from the lefty’s first ten starts in Pittsburgh. Tony Watson, Mark Melancon, and Jason Grilli each pitched a perfect inning in relief. Grilli picked up his league-leading 27th save in the effort. The offense was provided by two solo home runs, by Pedro Alvarez in the second and by Garrett Jones in the fourth.

1. joewilliesshnoz - Jun 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Let’s go Bucs !

2. stairwayto7 - Jun 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Pirate schedule last 3 months 41 home, 10 vs cubs, 6 vs brewers and Florida and 3 mets.. 90+ wins..EASILY!

• stairwayto7 - Jun 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Plus a 9 GAME LEAD IN THE WILD CARD!

3. mazblast - Jun 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I’ve been a Pirates fan since 1963, attended my first MLB game that year at Forbes Field (!), and have seen some highs and many lows, including 1992 and the worst, being in the stands at Riverfront for Game 5 in ’72.

Call me skeptical, but I won’t believe they’ve broken the streak of losing seasons until the day after they win #82. I won’t believe they’ve made the playoffs until I see them playing in the playoffs.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Not sure I’ll even believe it then!

4. jtm12180 - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:43 PM

E5tolife, exactly how old I was….I remember going to bed in tears after Bream was safe at home….32 now…unreal

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5499)