Jun 29, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
What the heck is going on with Bartolo Colon? His incredible run of success continued last night, as he fired eight innings of one-run ball in a 6-1 victory over the Cardinals at O.Co Coliseum. He has wins in each of his last eight starts and is the first pitcher to win seven in a row since turning 40 years old.
Colon scattered six hits and walked just one batter while striking out five. In his typical efficient fashion, he threw 70 out of 101 pitches for strikes and first-pitch strikes to 22 out of 29 batters faced. The veteran right-hander is now 11-2 on the season to go along with a 2.79 ERA and 61/13 K/BB ratio in 106 1/3 innings over 16 starts.
As Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle points out, the last time Colon had 11 wins prior to the All-Star break was in 2005 as a member of the Angels. While Johan Santana was the more deserving candidate, he eventually went on to win the American League Cy Young Award that year.
Your Friday box scores:
Cubs 4, Mariners 5 (10 innings)
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 4
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)