Jun 29, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
What the heck is going on with Bartolo Colon? His incredible run of success continued last night, as he fired eight innings of one-run ball in a 6-1 victory over the Cardinals at O.Co Coliseum. He has wins in each of his last eight starts and is the first pitcher to win seven in a row since turning 40 years old.
Colon scattered six hits and walked just one batter while striking out five. In his typical efficient fashion, he threw 70 out of 101 pitches for strikes and first-pitch strikes to 22 out of 29 batters faced. The veteran right-hander is now 11-2 on the season to go along with a 2.79 ERA and 61/13 K/BB ratio in 106 1/3 innings over 16 starts.
As Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle points out, the last time Colon had 11 wins prior to the All-Star break was in 2005 as a member of the Angels. While Johan Santana was the more deserving candidate, he eventually went on to win the American League Cy Young Award that year.
Your Friday box scores:
Cubs 4, Mariners 5 (10 innings)
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)