The Braves retired Chipper Jones’ number last night

Jun 29, 2013, 10:47 AM EST

Chipper Jones Getty Getty Images

Chipper Jones had his No. 10 retired by the Braves last night during an on-field ceremony at Turner Field. You can watch video of the event here.

Fittingly enough, Jones is the 10th number retired by the Braves, joining Hank Aaron, Warren Spahn, Eddie Mathews, Phil Niekro, Dale Murphy, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, and Bobby Cox. Jones, who retired after last season, was inducted into the Braves’ Hall of Fame earlier in the day at a luncheon in front of a crowd of more than 1,300 fans at the Marriott Marquis.

Per Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Jones said he had a hard time keeping his emotions in check as he watched his No. 10 unveiled along the left-field line, not far from his former position at third base.

“The hair on the back of your neck stands up,” Jones said. “You get chill bumps. I made it a point not to look my mom and dad in the face, because if I did, I probably would have lost it. I take great pride that I made it through that whole thing without shedding a tear. It was tough.”

Jones played 19 seasons in the majors and finished his career with a .303/.401/.529 lifetime batting line to go along with 468 home runs and 1,623 RBI. An eight-time All-Star, he won the National League MVP Award in 1999. One of the best switch-hitters of all-time, he should be making a trip to Cooperstown in a few years.

1. mybrunoblog - Jun 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM

A well deserved honor for a terrific ball player. Congrats to Jones.
    I didn’t realize the Braves had so many retired numbers. They’ve had some great ones along the way.

2. elpendejo59 - Jun 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I grew up a Braves fan as a kid in the 80’s in West Palm Beach, FL. We had no Florida baseball back the and the Braves were the closest team geographically and they trained 2 miles from my parent’s house each spring. Going out to West Palm Beach Municipal Stadium each morning during spring was the highlight of my year. Somehow, Chipper was never my favorite player throughout his career. It was always someone else. I almost feel like I took Chipper for granted. Glad days like yesterday make me take a look back and realize just what a great career I saw unfold in front of my eyes those 19 years. Braves baseball still seems weird without him at the hot corner.

3. FinFan68 - Jun 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Those Braves of the 90s were really good. They should have won at least 1 or 2 more WS. Half the retired #s played/coached those teams.

• mybrunoblog - Jun 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Those Braves teams ran into the Yankees machine. Happens.

• mazblast - Jun 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM

And the Twins machine, and the Marlins machine, and the Padres machine, and the Astros machine, and the Blue Jays machine…

Every year the “pitching wins the short series” Braves had a new nemesis, and every year the media made excuses for them and made them the next year’s favorite, not unlike the Patriots now. They were great teams, but for all their regular season success, they were post-season underachievers.

All that aside, this was a well-deserved honor for one of the Braves’ greats. I never liked Chipper, but I always respected him.

4. norvturnersneck - Jun 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM

HoFer without juicing. Nice career!

5. scdocal - Jun 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Well deserved for one of the best switch hitters of all time. Many memories growing up. First ballot hall of fame

6. missingdiz - Jun 29, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I couldn’t stand Chipper. When I was growing up there was always a Chipper or Buster or Buck who was just way better than me at baseball and all other sports. Chipper was the guy–had all the letters on his letterman jacket. Cheerleaders loved him. Now that I think about it, I still can’t stand him. But he was an outstanding baseball player. Clutch. I think in his later years he was a leader by example. If I had a vote, I’d vote for him for HOF.

7. historiophiliac - Jun 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM

WTF are you wearing, Larry?

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

He’s just verklempt over winning the Rose Ceremony.

• historiophiliac - Jun 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM

BARF!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I could be vacationing on the Moon and I’d still find a way to troll this post. ;)

8. biasedhomer - Jun 29, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Now if only he could retire his twitter account…

• historiophiliac - Jun 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Maybe he could trade if for Home Depot classes and a lovable soul.

9. florida76 - Jun 29, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I wouldn’t say it’s fitting Jones had his number retired in terms of coinciding with the Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta output of HOF players. The current Braves had failed in two prior cities before landing in Atlanta in 1966. It’s much more accurate to say Jones is the eighth Atlanta Brave to earn the honor. Warren Spahn never pitched a day in Atlanta, and Eddie Matthews only spent a season there in the downside of his career. Weird to see a Spahn statue outside their stadium, a Jones statue would have been far more appropriate.

Even though the Atlanta Braves have been more successful than the Milwaukee/Boston versions, it is troubling their world title output has been surpassed by the Marlins.

• nategearhart - Jun 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM

The “current” Braves are the same Braves as the Boston and Milwaukee Braves. They just play in a different city. And DJ’s statement that the Braves have retired 10 is a fact; he didn’t mention any cities.

10. andreweac - Jun 29, 2013 at 1:43 PM

A baseball player with grit and a whole heap load of talent. Congrats Larry!

11. unclemosesgreen - Jun 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Weird security for the ceremony – a system of moats patrolled by alligators.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4862)
  2. M. Kemp (3444)
  3. J. Upton (2527)
  4. J. Kang (2495)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2472)
  1. C. McGehee (2451)