Jun 29, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Chipper Jones had his No. 10 retired by the Braves last night during an on-field ceremony at Turner Field. You can watch video of the event here.
Fittingly enough, Jones is the 10th number retired by the Braves, joining Hank Aaron, Warren Spahn, Eddie Mathews, Phil Niekro, Dale Murphy, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, and Bobby Cox. Jones, who retired after last season, was inducted into the Braves’ Hall of Fame earlier in the day at a luncheon in front of a crowd of more than 1,300 fans at the Marriott Marquis.
Per Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Jones said he had a hard time keeping his emotions in check as he watched his No. 10 unveiled along the left-field line, not far from his former position at third base.
“The hair on the back of your neck stands up,” Jones said. “You get chill bumps. I made it a point not to look my mom and dad in the face, because if I did, I probably would have lost it. I take great pride that I made it through that whole thing without shedding a tear. It was tough.”
Jones played 19 seasons in the majors and finished his career with a .303/.401/.529 lifetime batting line to go along with 468 home runs and 1,623 RBI. An eight-time All-Star, he won the National League MVP Award in 1999. One of the best switch-hitters of all-time, he should be making a trip to Cooperstown in a few years.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)