Jun 29, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Chipper Jones had his No. 10 retired by the Braves last night during an on-field ceremony at Turner Field. You can watch video of the event here.
Fittingly enough, Jones is the 10th number retired by the Braves, joining Hank Aaron, Warren Spahn, Eddie Mathews, Phil Niekro, Dale Murphy, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, and Bobby Cox. Jones, who retired after last season, was inducted into the Braves’ Hall of Fame earlier in the day at a luncheon in front of a crowd of more than 1,300 fans at the Marriott Marquis.
Per Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Jones said he had a hard time keeping his emotions in check as he watched his No. 10 unveiled along the left-field line, not far from his former position at third base.
“The hair on the back of your neck stands up,” Jones said. “You get chill bumps. I made it a point not to look my mom and dad in the face, because if I did, I probably would have lost it. I take great pride that I made it through that whole thing without shedding a tear. It was tough.”
Jones played 19 seasons in the majors and finished his career with a .303/.401/.529 lifetime batting line to go along with 468 home runs and 1,623 RBI. An eight-time All-Star, he won the National League MVP Award in 1999. One of the best switch-hitters of all-time, he should be making a trip to Cooperstown in a few years.
Dec 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
This means the Padres will only have to pay Kemp $3 million next season.
Dec 22, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Johnny Cueto is set to become a free agent next offseason, but the Reds have a small window of time to convince their ace to stick around for the long-term.
Dec 22, 2014, 8:09 PM EST
All three players received invites to major league spring training.
Dec 22, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
Dan Haren was traded from the Dodgers to the Marlins in the Dee Gordon deal during this month’s Winter Meetings despite his previous comments that he would rather retire than pitch for a team away from his family in Southern California.
Dec 22, 2014, 5:07 PM EST
“It’s too soon to know if Scutaro will ever take the field again.”
Dec 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EST
I got, like, 17 guys I’d put in. But I’ll pretend I can only pick ten.
Dec 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
Another comeback attempt in San Diego.
Dec 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
And it looks weird. But then again, everything looks weird there, doesn’t it?
Dec 22, 2014, 2:08 PM EST
We could probably all write one of these. But ours would be a lot less useful to our younger selves than Doc Gooden’s is to his younger self.
Dec 22, 2014, 12:44 PM EST
The Pirates have 30 days to reach an agreement with Kang or else he goes back to his KBO team.
Dec 22, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
Bell was an All-Star as recently as 2011.
Dec 22, 2014, 11:54 AM EST
The ultimate minor league “where are they now?”
Dec 22, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
“You see what’s going on, but …”
Dec 22, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
Who will tell us that they’re “takin’ it one game at a time” now?!
Dec 22, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Dec 22, 2014, 9:04 AM EST
He’ll be under team control through 2019.
Dec 22, 2014, 8:41 AM EST
Taped baseballs and Yankees fans.
Dec 22, 2014, 7:49 AM EST
Understated, it is not.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
Wil Myers was rumored to be a potential target for the Phillies in a trade involving Cole Hamels, but it turns out the Padres plan to hang on to him.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
Wil Ledezma will attempt to return to the major leagues with the Twins after signing a minor league deal.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 69
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 23
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)