Jun 29, 2013, 9:26 AM EST
46 runs, 59 hits, and 20 pitchers used. Those are just some of the numbers from yesterday’s doubleheader between the Indians and White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field.
The Indians ended up taking both games. They won a 19-10 slugfest in the opener, which featured outfielder Casper Wells tossing a hitless ninth inning for the White Sox. The Indians had a dramatic comeback to secure a 9-8 victory in the nightcap, which included a four-run ninth inning rally against Addison Reed and a go-ahead solo homer from Nick Swisher.
The two games lasted a combined seven hours and 53 minutes. That’s the longest doubleheader for two nine-inning games in history. And that’s not even including the 63 minutes between the two games, which included a 25-minute rain delay. As Swisher told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, it was a long day at the ballpark.
“It was a long day, bro. . .definitely a long day,” said Swisher. “We got in at 3 in the morning after playing in Baltimore on Thursday night. We come out here and played two games.
“This is a no-doubt type team. We fight to the end. We’re scrapping. It doesn’t always look pretty, man, but we’re going to do our best to try and get it done.”
A long day, bro.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (96)