Jun 29, 2013, 9:26 AM EST
46 runs, 59 hits, and 20 pitchers used. Those are just some of the numbers from yesterday’s doubleheader between the Indians and White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field.
The Indians ended up taking both games. They won a 19-10 slugfest in the opener, which featured outfielder Casper Wells tossing a hitless ninth inning for the White Sox. The Indians had a dramatic comeback to secure a 9-8 victory in the nightcap, which included a four-run ninth inning rally against Addison Reed and a go-ahead solo homer from Nick Swisher.
The two games lasted a combined seven hours and 53 minutes. That’s the longest doubleheader for two nine-inning games in history. And that’s not even including the 63 minutes between the two games, which included a 25-minute rain delay. As Swisher told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, it was a long day at the ballpark.
“It was a long day, bro. . .definitely a long day,” said Swisher. “We got in at 3 in the morning after playing in Baltimore on Thursday night. We come out here and played two games.
“This is a no-doubt type team. We fight to the end. We’re scrapping. It doesn’t always look pretty, man, but we’re going to do our best to try and get it done.”
A long day, bro.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)