Jun 29, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
46 runs, 59 hits, and 20 pitchers used. Those are just some of the numbers from yesterday’s doubleheader between the Indians and White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field.
The Indians ended up taking both games. They won a 19-10 slugfest in the opener, which featured outfielder Casper Wells tossing a hitless ninth inning for the White Sox. The Indians had a dramatic comeback to secure a 9-8 victory in the nightcap, which included a four-run ninth inning rally against Addison Reed and a go-ahead solo homer from Nick Swisher.
The two games lasted a combined seven hours and 53 minutes. That’s the longest doubleheader for two nine-inning games in history. And that’s not even including the 63 minutes between the two games, which included a 25-minute rain delay. As Swisher told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, it was a long day at the ballpark.
“It was a long day, bro. . .definitely a long day,” said Swisher. “We got in at 3 in the morning after playing in Baltimore on Thursday night. We come out here and played two games.
“This is a no-doubt type team. We fight to the end. We’re scrapping. It doesn’t always look pretty, man, but we’re going to do our best to try and get it done.”
A long day, bro.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)