Jun 29, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
46 runs, 59 hits, and 20 pitchers used. Those are just some of the numbers from yesterday’s doubleheader between the Indians and White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field.
The Indians ended up taking both games. They won a 19-10 slugfest in the opener, which featured outfielder Casper Wells tossing a hitless ninth inning for the White Sox. The Indians had a dramatic comeback to secure a 9-8 victory in the nightcap, which included a four-run ninth inning rally against Addison Reed and a go-ahead solo homer from Nick Swisher.
The two games lasted a combined seven hours and 53 minutes. That’s the longest doubleheader for two nine-inning games in history. And that’s not even including the 63 minutes between the two games, which included a 25-minute rain delay. As Swisher told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, it was a long day at the ballpark.
“It was a long day, bro. . .definitely a long day,” said Swisher. “We got in at 3 in the morning after playing in Baltimore on Thursday night. We come out here and played two games.
“This is a no-doubt type team. We fight to the end. We’re scrapping. It doesn’t always look pretty, man, but we’re going to do our best to try and get it done.”
A long day, bro.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 3
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 37
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (107)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)