Jun 29, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
46 runs, 59 hits, and 20 pitchers used. Those are just some of the numbers from yesterday’s doubleheader between the Indians and White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field.
The Indians ended up taking both games. They won a 19-10 slugfest in the opener, which featured outfielder Casper Wells tossing a hitless ninth inning for the White Sox. The Indians had a dramatic comeback to secure a 9-8 victory in the nightcap, which included a four-run ninth inning rally against Addison Reed and a go-ahead solo homer from Nick Swisher.
The two games lasted a combined seven hours and 53 minutes. That’s the longest doubleheader for two nine-inning games in history. And that’s not even including the 63 minutes between the two games, which included a 25-minute rain delay. As Swisher told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, it was a long day at the ballpark.
“It was a long day, bro. . .definitely a long day,” said Swisher. “We got in at 3 in the morning after playing in Baltimore on Thursday night. We come out here and played two games.
“This is a no-doubt type team. We fight to the end. We’re scrapping. It doesn’t always look pretty, man, but we’re going to do our best to try and get it done.”
A long day, bro.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (107)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)