Jun 29, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
Tigers slugger Prince Fielder hit a doozy of a home run last night at Tropicana Field. Facing Rays left-hander Cesar Ramos in the top of the eighth inning, he turned on one and launched it off the catwalk in right field.
Now that’s a moonshot. Chris Iott of MLive.com notes that Fielder is the first player to hit the C-ring catwalk at Tropicana Field since Baltimore’s Chris Davis did it last October 1. The official estimate on Fielder’s blast is 414 feet, which makes you wonder where it would have ended up if the catwalk didn’t get in the way. Miguel Cabrera has one guess.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)