Jun 29, 2013, 10:06 AM EST
Tigers slugger Prince Fielder hit a doozy of a home run last night at Tropicana Field. Facing Rays left-hander Cesar Ramos in the top of the eighth inning, he turned on one and launched it off the catwalk in right field.
Now that’s a moonshot. Chris Iott of MLive.com notes that Fielder is the first player to hit the C-ring catwalk at Tropicana Field since Baltimore’s Chris Davis did it last October 1. The official estimate on Fielder’s blast is 414 feet, which makes you wonder where it would have ended up if the catwalk didn’t get in the way. Miguel Cabrera has one guess.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)