Jun 30, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria did not play Saturday and will not be in the starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale against the Tigers due to a flareup of the plantar fasciitis in his right foot. But he fully expects to avoid a stint on the disabled list.
“I’ve been battling with the plantar stuff for a better part of the month now,” Longoria told the Tampa Tribune on Saturday night. “I’m pretty optimistic about the way I feel today. … From the beginning of what they’ve told me, (plantar fasciitis) is something you can play through if you can deal with the pain.”
Kelly Johnson handled the hot corner on Saturday.
Longoria, 27, is batting .298/.367/.550 with 17 home runs and 47 RBI in 80 games played this season and the Rays are 42-39 — six games back of the Red Sox in the ever-tough American League East.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)