Jun 30, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria did not play Saturday and will not be in the starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale against the Tigers due to a flareup of the plantar fasciitis in his right foot. But he fully expects to avoid a stint on the disabled list.
“I’ve been battling with the plantar stuff for a better part of the month now,” Longoria told the Tampa Tribune on Saturday night. “I’m pretty optimistic about the way I feel today. … From the beginning of what they’ve told me, (plantar fasciitis) is something you can play through if you can deal with the pain.”
Kelly Johnson handled the hot corner on Saturday.
Longoria, 27, is batting .298/.367/.550 with 17 home runs and 47 RBI in 80 games played this season and the Rays are 42-39 — six games back of the Red Sox in the ever-tough American League East.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)