Jun 30, 2013, 11:09 AM EST
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria did not play Saturday and will not be in the starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale against the Tigers due to a flareup of the plantar fasciitis in his right foot. But he fully expects to avoid a stint on the disabled list.
“I’ve been battling with the plantar stuff for a better part of the month now,” Longoria told the Tampa Tribune on Saturday night. “I’m pretty optimistic about the way I feel today. … From the beginning of what they’ve told me, (plantar fasciitis) is something you can play through if you can deal with the pain.”
Kelly Johnson handled the hot corner on Saturday.
Longoria, 27, is batting .298/.367/.550 with 17 home runs and 47 RBI in 80 games played this season and the Rays are 42-39 — six games back of the Red Sox in the ever-tough American League East.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (90)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)