Jun 30, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria did not play Saturday and will not be in the starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale against the Tigers due to a flareup of the plantar fasciitis in his right foot. But he fully expects to avoid a stint on the disabled list.
“I’ve been battling with the plantar stuff for a better part of the month now,” Longoria told the Tampa Tribune on Saturday night. “I’m pretty optimistic about the way I feel today. … From the beginning of what they’ve told me, (plantar fasciitis) is something you can play through if you can deal with the pain.”
Kelly Johnson handled the hot corner on Saturday.
Longoria, 27, is batting .298/.367/.550 with 17 home runs and 47 RBI in 80 games played this season and the Rays are 42-39 — six games back of the Red Sox in the ever-tough American League East.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 4
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)