Jun 30, 2013, 11:09 AM EST
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria did not play Saturday and will not be in the starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale against the Tigers due to a flareup of the plantar fasciitis in his right foot. But he fully expects to avoid a stint on the disabled list.
“I’ve been battling with the plantar stuff for a better part of the month now,” Longoria told the Tampa Tribune on Saturday night. “I’m pretty optimistic about the way I feel today. … From the beginning of what they’ve told me, (plantar fasciitis) is something you can play through if you can deal with the pain.”
Kelly Johnson handled the hot corner on Saturday.
Longoria, 27, is batting .298/.367/.550 with 17 home runs and 47 RBI in 80 games played this season and the Rays are 42-39 — six games back of the Red Sox in the ever-tough American League East.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)