Jacob Turner has a 1.76 ERA since his May 31 promotion

Jun 30, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT

jacob turner getty Getty Images

Jacob Turner has been a well-known name in the baseball world for so long that it’s almost difficult to believe he is only 22 years old. And yet here we are.

The young righty was ranked a Top-30 prospect by Baseball America three offseasons in a row (2010-2012) and is rounding into a pretty nice major league pitcher here in 2013 with the Marlins. He threw the first complete game of his career on Saturday evening against the Padres, allowing just one run while fanning seven as Miami picked up a 7-1 victory.

Turner is 2-0 with a 1.76 ERA and 1.10 WHIP in six starts since his promotion to the major leagues on May 31.

He has only 27 strikeouts in 41 innings, but that’s just the kind of pitcher he is.

“I’ve always been able to pound the strike zone; that’s been my biggest strength,” Turner said late Saturday night. And making half his starts at the cavernous Marlins Park should help keep that a sound strategy.

1. dondada10 - Jun 30, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Marlins Park. I’m shocked Loria didn’t sell the naming rights.

• pappageorgio - Jun 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM

He’d have to find someone willing to be associated with him…….plus Loria probably wants top dollar for the naming rights.

Lethal combination…….no self-respecting business is going to pay top dollar to have their name put on a structure that is as infamous as that stadium.

• dan1111 - Jun 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM

As an alternative, they could hold somebody for ransom by putting a name on it and making them pay to take it off.

I propose naming it “Old Gator Stadium”.

• Old Gator - Jun 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I would hang myself in the basement before I’d let them put my name on that Byzantine fribble.

2. Old Gator - Jun 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM

But let’s to the Turner matter queeckly. Yeah, while The Keed was soaking up all the media attention for his adventures in escaping from that large island ninety miles south of Key West which shall remain nameless, albeit with good reason, Turner was laboring in minor league obscurity working out the bugs that made his spring training record look like the bottom of a Shake N’ Bake bag and then he came up loaded for bear. Yesterday, after slamming the door and catching the Pad people’s weewees in it, he said to Mike Redmond on the way off the field, “You see? That’s how you do it, Skip.”

I like this kid – not only can he peetch like a snake oil salesman, he’s hung with a pair of huevos prehistoricos.

Three legends off to Cooperstown