Jun 30, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Today in “headlines you definitely did not expect to read”, Marlins backup catcher Jeff Mathis powered the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth against Padres reliever Tyson Ross, breaking a 2-2 tie. Mathis was, to that point, 0-for-3 on the day, and entered the afternoon carrying a .446 OPS. To put that in perspective, Miguel Cabrera has a .461 on-base percentage.
The victory is the Marlins’ fifth in their last six games as they wrap up a successful month of June. After going 8-19 in April and 6-22 in May, their 15-10 June is a welcome sight in Miami.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (162)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)