Jun 30, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Today in “headlines you definitely did not expect to read”, Marlins backup catcher Jeff Mathis powered the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth against Padres reliever Tyson Ross, breaking a 2-2 tie. Mathis was, to that point, 0-for-3 on the day, and entered the afternoon carrying a .446 OPS. To put that in perspective, Miguel Cabrera has a .461 on-base percentage.
The victory is the Marlins’ fifth in their last six games as they wrap up a successful month of June. After going 8-19 in April and 6-22 in May, their 15-10 June is a welcome sight in Miami.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 30
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 86
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)